1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo.. Church of England Primary Schools

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by hayley1611, Jun 7, 2011.

1. I have recently been to look around a few CofE primary schools which I am interested in applying for. I have previously had one interview for a CofE school which I didn't get. What sort of thing are they looking for as I'm not religious myself, I don't go to church or anything like that and Im just worried that CofE schools will be put off by this. Most of them are asking me to outline what I can bring to a church school, but I havent got a clue?!
    Thanks

2. I have recently been to look around a few CofE primary schools which I am interested in applying for. I have previously had one interview for a CofE school which I didn't get. What sort of thing are they looking for as I'm not religious myself, I don't go to church or anything like that and Im just worried that CofE schools will be put off by this. Most of them are asking me to outline what I can bring to a church school, but I havent got a clue?!
    Thanks

3. I'm of no religion yet once worked in a catholic school. When asked how I would teach religion I just stated that as an employee of the school I would fully support the school's ethos and that I believe everyone has a right to their own beliefs and faith (myself included). They were happy with that.
    Only time I ever felt uncomfortable was during a RE inset where the priest hosting assumed everyone in the room was catholic. However, I chose not to speak out and draw attention to myself (a couple of the activities we were asked to do really weren't relevant to me - eg mapping my religious life path to date I recall) but had I have done so I suspect the priest would have been quite apologetic about making assumptions. DId learn not to assume too much myself from that - you never know how awkward a seemingly honest generalisation might make someone feel.