1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo (Catholic schools/asking for travel cost refund)

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by NNS, Mar 8, 2011.

1. NNS

NNS New commenter

As I started looking for interesting ads, I found a few posts in Catholic/Christian schools.
    being a Catholic myself, I wonder whether I should emphasise it in my application, or would that
    be considered inappropriate?
    I
    did not want to create another question post, so I thought I might ask
    here as well- since the jobs I am going to apply to are all far away
    (unfortunately nothing came up in my region), I am a bit concerned about
    finances. A teacher in my school told me it is possible to get costs of
    travel refunded by the school which invited for the interview. I would
    like to know how owuld you go on about it if I ever get an interview in
    one of those schools that are quite far up?

2. NNS

NNS New commenter

As I started looking for interesting ads, I found a few posts in Catholic/Christian schools.
    being a Catholic myself, I wonder whether I should emphasise it in my application, or would that
    be considered inappropriate?
    I
    did not want to create another question post, so I thought I might ask
    here as well- since the jobs I am going to apply to are all far away
    (unfortunately nothing came up in my region), I am a bit concerned about
    finances. A teacher in my school told me it is possible to get costs of
    travel refunded by the school which invited for the interview. I would
    like to know how owuld you go on about it if I ever get an interview in
    one of those schools that are quite far up?

3. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

It SHOULD matter a lot, but in my experience it doesn't matter at all! Ostensibly, parents send their children to Catholic schools because their faith matters to them and they want their children to be taught by like-minded people who value their Catholic faith and live their lives in accordance with it. Most people who have not been brought up as Catholics really do find it IMPOSSIBLE to grasp how important faith can be for some people.

However, notice I used the word "ostensibly". As is very evident, most Catholics are à la carte Catholics: parents, children AND teachers. So, while in theory it should help your application, in practice it won't make the slightest difference.

Theo may beg to differ, but this is certainly my experience of Catholic schools. In fact, for some Catholic schools, I've been truly horrified by their behaviour.

4. I have a similar problem of where I want to apply to Christian schools but they insist on a faith reference which I can not give due to not attending church on a regular basis. Even though I have no problems up holding the Christian views of the school due to having my own beliefs in God. I also currently work in a Catholic school that I got through a supply agency- No one has ever asked me what faith I am, yet I do a good job of enforcing the schools mission statement.

I would like to think that by saying you are a Catholic that will put you in a good position. 9 times out of 10 it is in the desirables of the person spec any way
    Good Luck

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, entirely appropriate - it is very important for their ethos that they have a core of committed catholic teachers, so do be clear about your faith.
    And if you ever decide to move up to the top - catholic Headteachers are in VERY short supply!
    Here are a few websites that you should browse:
    http://www.cesew.org.uk/index.asp?id=1
    http://www.e-ctg.com/
    http://www.sces.uk.com/
    http://www.catsc.org/
    And this one is CoE - which may interest other posters who are applying to CoE faith schools and want to know a bit more about them.
    http://www.churchofengland.org/education/church-schools-academies.aspx
    Best wishes
    There is now another seminar on Applying for Senior Leadership on 13th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop17.eventbrite.com
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!