1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo -- career advice

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by likejesus, Jun 29, 2012.

1. likejesus

likejesus New commenter

Dear Theo
    NQT looking for some advice! I haven't been successful in obtaining a job this go-round and while there's one or two still about, I'm pretty realistic at this point. It's a shame as I got excellent grades on my placements and had an interview at my placement school (which I lost narrowly to a maternity cover internal) so know I should be eminently employable, it just hasn't happened.
    Anyway, my quandry is over what to do next. I still really want to be a primary school teacher still, but I need to be able to eat!
    Option a is supply. To be honest, my heart's not really in it and I don't see how I could realistically make enough from it (even assuming I work 180 days next year, which is probably unrealistic in itself) to meet my living costs. However, I do realise that doing supply is very likely my best route into a permanent position.
    Option b is to get a... *gasp*... proper job, as in a full-time job not teaching. There's a very nice sounding job going at a local uni which is actually more money than I would earn as an NQT, and it's a years maternity cover which frees me up to apply for jobs starting in September 2013. Pros are its stable, good money. Cons are it's not teaching, and isn't likely to help me get a job.
    I'm leaning towards b, because of the financial situation and the fact I'm not loving the idea of a whole year of supply work, but I realise that taking b is a risk that could lead to me never getting a job in teaching.
    The advice I'm looking from you is, I guess, an assessment of how much of a challenge it would be to get a job come this time next year if I've been out of the profession for a year. As I say, I really really want my own class and supply is the only way to do it then sobeit, but I'd like to clarification on my options if that's possible. Thanks!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well, I'm not the guy for careers advice - that's John Howson on the Careers Clinic.
    But what I shall say is that supply is very hard to get. Very hard. We have people who say that 2 or 3 days a month, a month, is all that they can get.
    I shall also say that you will not be tied to 12 months, nor to a two or three-month resignation notice, in the job in the university, so if a suitable vacancy came for January or easter, you could apply.
    Although they would not like to hear that this is what you might be planning to do . . . stick to the fact that most jobs are for September!
    Best wishes

3. I graduated in 2010. I didn't manage to secure a teaching post, so I decided that supply would be the way forward. I managed a grand total of 35 days across a whole year. Despite having gained experience and teaching in every year group, this was still not enough to secure me a post, with one head teacher commenting that the reason I wasn't shortlisted was because I was a supply teacher - some clearly don't realise just how tough it is out there at the moment. I then went onto do supply again this year. I have worked pretty much every day which has been fantastic. I've gained lots of experience, money and completed a term of induction. However, I am still in the same position that I have been at the end of every year, I still haven't secured a teaching post - probably been doing supply for too long now.
    I think supply gives you experience and as you say keep you in teaching/education. But you need money and I guess the only way you can get around that is to get a job outside of it. I don't think it would go against you, I know a couple of people who decided to go travelling (no working with children at all) straight after finishing uni or a year into teaching and have managed to come back and walk straight into a job. Silly me I thought actually working with children would have made me more employable...maybe I am missing something?
    Good luck with whatever you decide.