1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo.....can you help?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Monty1942, May 1, 2012.

1. Hi,
    Since obtaining QTS I have sent of 21 applications and managed to get 8 interviews.
    This is not a bad ratio, but soon enough the available jobs/luck of obtaining an interview will run out! Worse still, each interview has been a disaster, in one way or another. Either I give a **** lesson or interview, or both!!!! Either I come across as a shrinking violet or a cocky beep beep! I say too much or I say to little in interview! I give an awful to a question! My interviewing technique is a disaster!
    I had an interview today (no need to say how it went!!) and spent the night before practising answers to potiential questions, which seemed to help, but I still gave a fairly awful performance! My lesson showed me up I think!
    1. Can you offer any advice on how to interview well?
    2. Manage nerves?
    3. Get the kids/HOD/HT on side?
    4. Plan a lesson that is simple, but outstanding?
    5. When asked 'how do you feel your lesson went?'....showing worthwhile reflections...should you annotate your lesson plan....make reflection notes?
    6. What are useful things to do between the end of your lesson and the beginning of your interview, that will help you prepare for your lesson?
    7. What are good, appropiate questions to ask at the end of the interview, for an NQT?
    8. Present yourself as a competant, approachable teacher/person?
    9. A good response to how you would uphold and contribute a school's ethos, particularly in catholic schools?
    Also.....are interview results decieded on informal observations? Including how you where when being shown around school? How you interacted with other members in your prospective department, when you meet them at some stage during the day? How questions you asked?
    I know you may not be able to answer every question, there may not even be an answer, but any help would be massively appreciated.
    I' am one more failed interview away from getting a job cold calling people, upselling bottled tap water!!!!!
    Even an antedoctal story, about a funny experience in interview or a placebo would help me feel better!!!
    Thank you and Regards
    An NQT in desperate need of an opportunity in teaching!!!

2. Hi,
    Since obtaining QTS I have sent of 21 applications and managed to get 8 interviews.
    This is not a bad ratio, but soon enough the available jobs/luck of obtaining an interview will run out! Worse still, each interview has been a disaster, in one way or another. Either I give a **** lesson or interview, or both!!!! Either I come across as a shrinking violet or a cocky beep beep! I say too much or I say to little in interview! I give an awful to a question! My interviewing technique is a disaster!
    I had an interview today (no need to say how it went!!) and spent the night before practising answers to potiential questions, which seemed to help, but I still gave a fairly awful performance! My lesson showed me up I think!
    1. Can you offer any advice on how to interview well?
    2. Manage nerves?
    3. Get the kids/HOD/HT on side?
    4. Plan a lesson that is simple, but outstanding?
    5. When asked 'how do you feel your lesson went?'....showing worthwhile reflections...should you annotate your lesson plan....make reflection notes?
    6. What are useful things to do between the end of your lesson and the beginning of your interview, that will help you prepare for your lesson?
    7. What are good, appropiate questions to ask at the end of the interview, for an NQT?
    8. Present yourself as a competant, approachable teacher/person?
    9. A good response to how you would uphold and contribute a school's ethos, particularly in catholic schools?
    Also.....are interview results decieded on informal observations? Including how you where when being shown around school? How you interacted with other members in your prospective department, when you meet them at some stage during the day? How questions you asked?
    I know you may not be able to answer every question, there may not even be an answer, but any help would be massively appreciated.
    I' am one more failed interview away from getting a job cold calling people, upselling bottled tap water!!!!!
    Even an antedoctal story, about a funny experience in interview or a placebo would help me feel better!!!
    Thank you and Regards
    An NQT in desperate need of an opportunity in teaching!!!

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Theo is having difficulty posting on a small device but will no doubt give a full reply when he can. He'll like the way you've numbered the questions too!

1 Interview tips are in the 'pinned' thread' at the top of this forum.
    2 Some people say Rescue Remedy is good, but having confience that you are prepared will help.
    3 ?

4 There's a reall good book called 'Pimp Your Lesson' which has helped many a poster here.
    5 Whatever you feel appropriate.
    6 What are useful things to do between the end of your lesson and the
    beginning of your interview, that will help you prepare for your lesson
    ?' Errm, you will have done your lesson. Do you mean for the interview? Middlemarch's idea mindmaps.
    This is done under 'Edit' so will have to post there before run out of time.

4. Sorry ..... should have read
    What are useful things to do between the end of your lesson and the beginning of your interview, that will help you prepare for your *interview*?'

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

To continue (curser locked up on previous post)
    7 Only a question to which you genuinely do not know the answer, or could not have found out any other way.
    8 & 9 Come on you know the answer to these.
    Mind you I've been Jobseeking for many years, so perhaps not the best advice!

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I'm sorry that you haven't had any success yet. And I.m also sorry that I'm not going to be able to answer all your questions. To be brutally h onest, there are just too many, too complex, it would take a book.

What you need to do is read the advice already given. The interview clickables inside the Welcome thread. The pinned thread about teaching a lesson at interview. And do a search or two for some other points. I reckon that at least 8 of your questions can be answered that way.

If there are 1 or 2 questions still unresolved, start another thread.

Best wishes

Posted from my Galaxy Tab

7. Linda555

Linda555 New commenter

If you are at all able to attend one of the TES Interview seminars, they are well worth the money. I attended two on the Saturday before my interview: Winning That Teaching Job and Interview Coaching and felt really well prepared. I was given feedback (personal to my own situation) about the kind of answers to give, which gave me confidence. I got the job (probably as a result of the seminars). Very best of luck.

8. I think I will have to attend-How does it work-where are they held-Is it with Theo??

9. We are having exactly the SAME problem(see post)-I think this is MORE serious then people realise-10 years experince though-we are or could be on a slippery slope down-If u want a chat over the phone PM me and we should discuss-we might need to form a <u>support network </u>(where we could pool resources)as I have NEVER seen anything SO bad in all my working life-over 20 years-maybe that another problem-too old?? it goes on and on.. anyways do get in contact!!or in your case too young?!