1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo Can I teach ks5 with a Primary PGCE

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by oohsuitsusir77, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Hi theo
    I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post- but I know that you are very good at giving advice.
    In September I will start my 4th year of teaching back on supply. I have done two terms of my nqt -1 to go and anyway I'm looking at wider options.
    I completed a Primary PGCE focusing on foundation phase in 2008 but, in 2007 I completed a Psychology degree with a 2:1.
    I have been thinking on and off about teaching Psychology to maybe Key Stage 4/5? Not applying for a job but, trying to get some supply experience to see whether I like it. I loved Psychology in my degree! I have just seen on my agency website that they are looking for Psychology teachers but I can't find anywhere as to whether I can teach that age range with my qualification. If I cant can do a course to enable me to do so??
    I hear Psychology is quite in demand (not sure if true)
    If you could give me any advice I would really appreciate it!
    Thanks

PS) I posted on here agees ago when I took a job as a level 3 T.A and you were very positive about it. It was worthwhile and I had a head say recently she was very impressed that I had done that so thankyou![​IMG]

2. Does this work the other way? Would someone like myself be able to teach Primary, and if so, would I actually stand a chance of getting to interview?

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I have little to add to Middlemarsh's excellent advice, except to say that
    (a) moving from Primary to Secondary is a lot easier than the other way round, as there is a glut of Primary teachers
    (b) trying to get some GCSE or A-level marking work might help your applications, as it will at least be evidence of awareness of the examination criteria and
    (c) for Psychology, don't forget FE and Sixth Form Colleges.
    Good luck to you both.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.