1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, Can I go down on the pay scale?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by sarita2011, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Dear Theo,
    I am a qualified MFL teacher who left England to come to Spain in 2009. Here I have worked on temporary contracts so I have decided I am going back to England next summer. However, when I left in England I was M5 on the pay scale and I am afraid I won´t be able to find work as NQTs are cheaper. I don´t mind offering going down on the pay scale to get permanent job. Is that possible. In such case where should I mention it? On my application or during the interview (well I get shorlisted).
    Thanks

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well, a nice easy question to answer, although you won't like what I have to say.
    The answer is: No.
    The unions do not allow this, as they say that it is undercutting other teachers. This means that in some cases, a school wants to appoint the best person, but cannot afford to. The best person would love the job, would be willing to work for what the school could afford. But both of them are disappointed, as it is not allowed.
    However, independent schools (go to the Independent Forum for more details), and Academies, are not bound by these rules.
    Best wishes
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!