1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: Calling up the EYFSCo...

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by rahmara, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Hi Theo,
    I hope that you are well. I have a very quick question to ask and I'm in two minds about it...
    I did my final teaching practice last year at a school and the EYFSCo was very keen to keep me on but unfortunately there weren't any vancancies in the early years. She has moved to KS1 now and there's a new EYFSCo at the school. I've heard from my friend who works there that there is an internal vacancy going for an early years teacher. I'm thinking of calling up the EYFSCo and discussing the vacancy further and about myself etc, however my friend thinks I should visit the school and have a chat with her then. I've called the school to go in this week but they're really busy and I can only go in the following week which is the last week of school! Any ideas as to what I should do?
    Rahmara.
    P.S. A head at a school will also be putting my name forward as recommendation to another school who is looking for an EY teacher! Fingers crossed it works out so I can start a new thread saying "Dear Theo: I got the job..."!

2. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

Do you mean internal or external? If you do mean internal, I am not sure whether there would be any point you contacting EYFSCO as they want to appoint from within, rather than outside, the school. However, if you are not sure whether it is actually internal or not, then do contact the school - nothing to lose by doing so!

If they have said for you to go in, then do so... but keep looking! Good luck!

3. Hi FollyFairy,
    Thanks for your reply. No it's not an external vacancy...it hasn't been advertised.
    I've asked other colleagues and a deputy head who have suggested I call the EYFSCo aswell. You're right too in saying that there's nothing to lose...
    Rahmara.

4. Why aren;t they advertising it? Do they already have someone in mind for the post?

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hi there Rahmana! I am in fine fettle, thank you for asking. Just been answering a few Kindle enquiries elsewhere on the Forums - seems that I am the unofficial Kindle-expert on TES! Love my Kindles - best thing EVER!
    This sounds like good news to me. Do ring and find out more details. If you do apply, remember that you must avoid the basic error of "internal" candidtes(I class you as that as you have worked there), which is assuming that you don't need to tell them everything because they already know what you can do.
    You have to pretend that they don't know you, and sell yourself the same way. And reading the shortlisting clickables will help you there!
    Just to sum up:
    You should send:
    • an application form with every bit filled in, no "See letter"
    • an application letter OR personal statement. Not both but certainly one of them.
    • a cover letter ONLY if you do a personal statement. See FAQs inside the Welcome thread
    • an Executive summary. If there's a space on the form, put it in there; if not, put it at the end of your letter so that it gets printed out automatically.
    Having a Head recommend you to another Head is a great thing too, so I do feel that your chances are getting better by the day.
    Very, very best of luck! (And with your first pay packet, buy a Kindle . . .)
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

6. Hi Bobby Carrot,
    They haven't advertised it because it's an internal vacancy...I don't know if they've already got someone in mind!
    ...Theo...good to hear you're doing well! Thank you very much for your advice...it's always very helpful. I'll be calling her up next week and getting more details about the vacancy and will be getting an update from the other headteacher too.
    Rahmara.
    P.S. I've put the Kindle on my 'wish list' on Amazon!

7. When we have an 'internal vacancy' it generally means that there is going to be some kind of staff reorganisation but that no 'new' member of staff will be taken on. e.g. a TA may change to be a HLTA and their former TA job disappears or a classroom teacher may become assistant head and keep their classroom teaching role too.

I'd just check that they actually need another person. It might just be that someone in school is changing roles but they feel they should advertise 'internally' so that the process doesn't seem unfair to other staff.