1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo...bulletpoints, paragraphs or....

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by stumigoo, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Hello, I have applied for a few jobs since I started teaching and I always get confused at the two sections in application forms that say - 'Extra Qualifications' and 'Further Training'
    Now I usually leave the qualifications section blank as although I have maintained on the job training, these have been in the form of twilight sessions etc, and not much in the way of 'here is a bit of paper to say you have been here'.
    As for further training, I do keep a regular and up to date record of my professional development both delivered by outside agencies and my local authotiy, but to what level should I go into, and what level of detail do I give? Also, are schools really that interested in some of the things I have done?
    An example would be the large amount of training I have completed in dealing with 'protected children' and children who are considered 'vulnerable'. Would some schools simply not be interested in that type of CPD? (I am thinking depending on the type of school that may not see many 'vulnerable' pupils)
    Finally most of the modules I attend, I don't get a 'bit of paper', of course my attendance and completion is stored securely at the local authority, but what should I put down in an application? Dates? Bulletpoints? Explanations of what I actually did? There is only so much space within these sections!
    Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

2. Hello, I have applied for a few jobs since I started teaching and I always get confused at the two sections in application forms that say - 'Extra Qualifications' and 'Further Training'
    Now I usually leave the qualifications section blank as although I have maintained on the job training, these have been in the form of twilight sessions etc, and not much in the way of 'here is a bit of paper to say you have been here'.
    As for further training, I do keep a regular and up to date record of my professional development both delivered by outside agencies and my local authotiy, but to what level should I go into, and what level of detail do I give? Also, are schools really that interested in some of the things I have done?
    An example would be the large amount of training I have completed in dealing with 'protected children' and children who are considered 'vulnerable'. Would some schools simply not be interested in that type of CPD? (I am thinking depending on the type of school that may not see many 'vulnerable' pupils)
    Finally most of the modules I attend, I don't get a 'bit of paper', of course my attendance and completion is stored securely at the local authority, but what should I put down in an application? Dates? Bulletpoints? Explanations of what I actually did? There is only so much space within these sections!
    Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.