1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - breaking a contract

Discussion in 'Independent' started by choralsongster, May 2, 2011.

1. choralsongster

choralsongster New commenter

I have been working in the Independent sector for the last 5 years, but am finding less time to spend with my child, due to long hours, travelling and work at home.
    I have decided to apply to a state school, but our last day for handing in notice is tomorrow, and the closing date for the job is Wednesday, with interviews scheduled for Friday the week after. The state school notice date is not until the end of the month.
    I am hopeful to gain an interview, and possibly the job, as it is a sideways move, but I am concerned that if I am successful and hand in my notice, I will have broken my contract, and will not be paid over the summer. I am a highly regarded member of staff, and have forewarned the Head today that I am applying, and the reasons why.
    Is this the norm in independent schools? Your advice would be much appreciated.

2. choralsongster

choralsongster New commenter

I have been working in the Independent sector for the last 5 years, but am finding less time to spend with my child, due to long hours, travelling and work at home.
    I have decided to apply to a state school, but our last day for handing in notice is tomorrow, and the closing date for the job is Wednesday, with interviews scheduled for Friday the week after. The state school notice date is not until the end of the month.
    I am hopeful to gain an interview, and possibly the job, as it is a sideways move, but I am concerned that if I am successful and hand in my notice, I will have broken my contract, and will not be paid over the summer. I am a highly regarded member of staff, and have forewarned the Head today that I am applying, and the reasons why.
    Is this the norm in independent schools? Your advice would be much appreciated.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, a late handing in of notice, if the Head refuses to accept, would involve breaking your contract. However, it is quite likely that when s/he gets the reference request, your Head will add a sentence to the effect that you would not be free to take up the post until January. And often the question of notice required is part of the application form.
    You have two choices: apply, but say that you would not be free until January. Or get your Head´s agreement to a late handing in of notice.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    By popular demand! In response to Tessers e-mailing in: another Job Seminar now on Saturday 14th May:
    www.tesweekendworkshop25.eventbrite.com
    The next Moving onto Leadship seminar is Sunday 15th May.
    http://tesweekendworkshop24.eventbrite.com/
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!