I have been working in the Independent sector for the last 5 years, but am finding less time to spend with my child, due to long hours, travelling and work at home. I have decided to apply to a state school, but our last day for handing in notice is tomorrow, and the closing date for the job is Wednesday, with interviews scheduled for Friday the week after. The state school notice date is not until the end of the month. I am hopeful to gain an interview, and possibly the job, as it is a sideways move, but I am concerned that if I am successful and hand in my notice, I will have broken my contract, and will not be paid over the summer. I am a highly regarded member of staff, and have forewarned the Head today that I am applying, and the reasons why. Is this the norm in independent schools? Your advice would be much appreciated.