1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo ... Block Capitals?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by irasor, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Dear Theo,
    I am applying for a job and it specifically states that the application form must be handwritten.
    On section 1 of the form it says to complete it in block capitals (personal details), so do I assume that the rest is not to be completed in block capitals? Normally, if I was handwriting an application form I would write it all in block captials as it's easier to read.
    Thanks in advance, (trying to avoid looking like an idiot who can't even follow simple instructions haha [​IMG] )

2. Dear Theo,
    I am applying for a job and it specifically states that the application form must be handwritten.
    On section 1 of the form it says to complete it in block capitals (personal details), so do I assume that the rest is not to be completed in block capitals? Normally, if I was handwriting an application form I would write it all in block captials as it's easier to read.
    Thanks in advance, (trying to avoid looking like an idiot who can't even follow simple instructions haha [​IMG] )

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I would assume all the information-type details might have to be in block capitals but your additional info etc to be ordinat=ry handwriting , but I'm willing to be told otherwise.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Whereas if I saw an advert that said the form had to be handwritten I'd not even bother to apply. Any school that far behind the times isn't the one for me!

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well, the instruction is to use block capitals for the personal info, but no such instruction fior the rest.
    And if they have asked for it to be hand-written (ghastly - I agree with the other poster . . .), it is because they wish to see what your writing is like.
    Block capitals are, in fact, the hardest thing to read - we are more used to the shape of words going up and down in lower case. It takes less time to read this than that below.
    BLOCK CAPITALS ARE, IN FACT, THE HARDEST THING TO READ - WE ARE USED TO THE SHAPE OF WORDS GOING UP AND DOWN. IT TAKES LONGER TO READ THIS THAN THE ABOVE.
    See what I mean?!
    There is now another seminar on Applying for Senior Leadership on 13th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop17.eventbrite.com
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

6. Thanks Theo,
    Good job I have beautiful handwriting then haha! :)

7. There was a job I was interested in recently that not only wanted the application form handwritten (it seems that's the LA policy) but this particular school wanted a handwritten supporting statement too. I asked them if I could type it as handwriting for too long causes me pain (medical reason) but they said no.Surely they can judge my handwriting from my application form? It put me right off so didn't apply for the job.

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I think asking for hand-written is pretty daft, myself.
    I think refusing to accept typed from someone with a medical problem is plain abominable.
    Better off not there, in my view.
    There is now another seminar on Applying for Senior Leadership on 13th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop17.eventbrite.com
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

9. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Maybe. If you're lucky.
    If you're unlucky it's because they like to use graphology to "support their assessment of a candidate".
    You might also find they ask for your place and time of birth as well as date as this makes constructing your horoscope more accurate.
    You should probably also avoid drinking tea made with actual leaves while there as they may want to look closely at the pattern in your cup after you have finished it.