1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, being interviewed first

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by signoradolores, Jun 11, 2011.

1. This may seem like a daft question but .... I always seem to be the first person to be interviewed/do my interview lesson and I never get the job. Do they put the weaker candidate first to get it over with or to have something to measure against?

2. I would not be suprised. After all the schools are doing what they like - they are the ones offering a job here and there cherry picking from hoards of people like us.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I would be very surprised!
    If they actually knew that someone was a weak candidate, they wouldn't bother to even call them to interview. Time is too precious to waste observing and interviewing someone who is weak.
    So do not interpret your position as a sign that you are conisdered weak. Nor strong!
    Do make sure that you prepare intelligently - read the interview clickables inside the Welcome thread to get the advice that has helped others to success.
    P.S. Really important to get your application perfect for grammar and spelling
    They're . . . (Shortened version of "They are").

Hordes . . . (Nothing to do with the verb "To hoard").

Best wishes to you all.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!

4. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

I'm not so sur to be honest Theo. I had two interviews on the same day before half term Nd had to decline one with thanks. I knew from the info they sent out there were six candidates and th email actually said 'if you cannot make it please let us kn ow as we have a reserve list. So schools DO interview without the intention of appointing. Why I don't know but it does happen.

5. I remember at my last school they advertised for a permanent position, and the NQT who'd taught the class all year also applied as the internal candidate. I remember seeing 4 young NQTs looking hopeful in the staffroom, but I just knew that our internal candidate would get the job (and I was quite happy for her!). But I really felt sorry for the other hopeful applicants, I don't think they stood a chance - well let's just say their only chance was for the internal candidate to really mess up! She even got to teach the children from her class, she was the only one who knew them. I thought it was a totally unfair and time wasting process.

6. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

It's crazy isn't it! I just don't understand why schools do it but unfortunately I know that they do. I suspect they like looking 'popular'!

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No, I don't believe that schools deliberately shortlist weak candidates and put them first to compare the others against them.
    Nor do internal candidates always get the job.
    Is there any point going to interview if there is an internal candidate?
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!

8. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

It's probably just coincidence but in my three interviews, the person to get the job was the first being interviewed.
    I was also 'kind of' an internal candidate at one as I was the PGCE student at the school and taught the interview lesson to the class I'd been with for the last 4 months. I didn't get the job because in the desirable criteria they wanted someone who could also teach Economics and the candidate who got the job could. The staff in my department thought it was a dead cert I'd get the job because I am rated outstanding. So everyone was shocked I didn't and it shows that anything can happen at interview.
    Funny thing now is that 6 weeks down the line I can see how lucky I was not to get the job, I would not have been happy at the school.

9. Sorry Theo, I didn't mean someone who was "weak" in the sense that they had no chance. I meant weak in the sense that they were the weaker/weakest of the selected candidates.
    Thanks for all the replies. It's great to read such a diverse range of opinions.

10. It could simply be that you are interviewed in alphabetical order and your name comes earlier than other candidates. I'm often last for that reason.

11. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

Nearly every interview I have been to recently has interviewed in alphabetical order. The only other order I can remember was at a school with a number of science posts in which they were looking for a certain mix so they interviewed the chemists together, the biologists together etc.

12. Thanks Theo. I was writing this quite late at night and I was feeling a little spent after filling in more and more applications for jobs (it was also dark). I am aware of these two mistakes and did not check my writing before posting the message. It is very rare that this happens to me and for this reason I had to reply. Adding to this that 'hordes' is not a word I commonly use whilst writing applications for jobs and I would not see this as a potential problem even if some teachers do not know the correct spelling for this particular word. Getting 'they are' wrong on the other hand is the first mistake for years that I have made and I take this on board.