1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - Becoming permanent?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by modgepodge, Jan 14, 2012.

1. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

Hi Theo
    I was appointed on Jan 1st for 2 terms at a school. So far, I'm loving it, and would very much like to stay for longer than 2 terms. (Obviously it's early days so I am not going to try and confirm anything at the moment!!)
    The job I'm doing is essentially a permanent job. A teacher retired elsewhere in the school and the old teacher of my class went for her job and got it, leaving my job open for me. It was advertised as temp but it's not like there's anyone waiting to come back to it like a maternity.
    How does it work in terms of appointing someone permanent? Do they have to advertise it nationally again and I'd have to reapply for Sept, or can they just decide to keep me on if I'm doing well? I'm sure there's no concerns about roll numbers or anything as it's a huge school with 60 kids in every year group. I can only imagine it was advertised as temp because it wasn't advertised until November,therefore limiting the number of potential applicants due to resignation dates. Either that or the classic "try them out before you make them permanent".
    I ask because I guess I'm going to have to talk to the head about this at some point, as I'll need to know whether to start applying for other September jobs.

2. modgepodge

Hi Theo
    I was appointed on Jan 1st for 2 terms at a school. So far, I'm loving it, and would very much like to stay for longer than 2 terms. (Obviously it's early days so I am not going to try and confirm anything at the moment!!)
    The job I'm doing is essentially a permanent job. A teacher retired elsewhere in the school and the old teacher of my class went for her job and got it, leaving my job open for me. It was advertised as temp but it's not like there's anyone waiting to come back to it like a maternity.
    How does it work in terms of appointing someone permanent? Do they have to advertise it nationally again and I'd have to reapply for Sept, or can they just decide to keep me on if I'm doing well? I'm sure there's no concerns about roll numbers or anything as it's a huge school with 60 kids in every year group. I can only imagine it was advertised as temp because it wasn't advertised until November,therefore limiting the number of potential applicants due to resignation dates. Either that or the classic "try them out before you make them permanent".
    I ask because I guess I'm going to have to talk to the head about this at some point, as I'll need to know whether to start applying for other September jobs.

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Just keep your eye out but if you do apply for something make it very clear to the head how much you'd rather stay. They'll be expecting you to keep an eye peeled especially in the current job climate. x

4. I am not sure how it works with regards to advertising jobs etc but do beware. I got told 'yes we will make you permanent after the summer' and then a few weeks after Easter I was told my contract would not be renewed and it was advertised! I was shocked at the way I was treated as had done nothing wrong, good observations etc and worked so hard all year. I I now know you can not take anybody's word for anything, however I am now teaching in a lovely lovely school (much better than the last one :p) and am very well supported with a really honest and supportive SMT. Hopefully not everyone is this unlucky but do be careful.

5. catherine_ann

catherine_ann Occasional commenter

Modgepodge, Im in a very similar situation. I was appointed before October half term and started in Jan. Since I have started I have been told that they will need two teachers for Sept as someone else in my department is leaving. So hopefully my temporary contract will be made permanent at some point.

But as another poster has said, in my last job a post came up and I was told that it was mine and it was advertised 3 weeks before the end of term. Interviews were on the last week of term and I was not appointed. Luckily my new school is so much better than my last!

6. modgepodge

Ok so it sounds like the moral of the story is don't stop applying for other jobs til I have a written offer/contract in my hand?!
    Seems odd - if they'd offered the post to an external applicant verbally, neither party can then pull out. Yet if it's verbally offered to an internal person ("we'll renew your contract" sounds like a verbal job offer to me) they can then pull out?

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

It may well pay you to keep your eyes peeled for the advertisement. They'll be expecting you to do that even if they don't say anything of that effect to you.
    Positive. If you do a good job, you'll already be in a good place when it comes to interview. Remember treat the application (and interview) just as any other application as if they <u>don't </u>know you!
    Negative. As it's for next Sept.,they well wait until Feb - Apr. to advertise to open it up to as many people as possible, poeple wanting to move who still have time to hand notice inand all the (potentiall cheap_ NQT trainees who will be available.

8. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

Hi there, I am currently working on a maternity contract and although the new mum will be returning in the summer, another teacher in my department is leaving the school at the end of the academic year and there will be a permanent job available.
    I have been told that as long as there are no problems with me that they will offer me the permanent role and not advertise. Not sure if they are meant to advertise? But the woman who is currently on maternity leave started her role on supply and they offered her a permanent post without advertising.
    The way I am looking at it is that until I have a contract, I will be out of work when she returns. I have already had interviews for other jobs so they know I am looking but seem to understand this as there is no guarantee of being made permanent. They will definitely need someone but there is also the issue that I won't get pay from about May until September and that the post is part time which is a struggle for me and if I can get full time I will leave them.
    In my experience of 7 interviews, not one school has ever opted for NQT's or cheaper teachers. I lost out at most interviews to upper pay scale candidates or M6 etc.

9. emmadrg

emmadrg New commenter

If you want to stay, make it known to the head that you are enjoying your time working at the school and ask what is happening with the job after September.
    Unfortunately I was in the same situation as KitKat and catherine_ann. THREE jobs came up at the school I was working in, I was interviewed (under extreme duress) and they gave the job to an NQT. I was promised everything and given nothing.
    Sorry to rain on your parade, but unless you are an NQT or M2 then you might find yourself out of a job. I really hope you don't as it's a horrible feeling I wouldn't wish on anyone.
    So until you have a written contract clasped firmly in your hand, assume nothing!

10. modgepodge

I am an NQT....come Sept I still will be and will be on M2. But only 1 term of NQT left for them to have to pay for extra non-contact for.
    There were 3 candidates interviewed for the job, all of us NQTs, so I can only assume they wanted someone cheap! That said there are other teachers in the school who did their NQT year at the school so they're clearly experienced at mentoring us. One of them started off on a maternity or part time position and I get the impression she was made permanant when someone didn't return or something as expected.
    So there's no legal thing that they have to advertise the position and I'd have to reapply? They could just make me permanant?
    Will def have a chat in a couple of months - when I start seeing Sept jobs advertised - with the head about what the situation is.
    Thanks all.