1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: attaching a photo.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by allybally, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Dear Theo (and anyone else),
    I wonder if other people have come across jobs which ask you to attach a photo to the application? I can't think of any legitimate reason why a school would ask you to do this. What do you think?

2. Dear Theo (and anyone else),
    I wonder if other people have come across jobs which ask you to attach a photo to the application? I can't think of any legitimate reason why a school would ask you to do this. What do you think?

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

It is rather daft of a school to do this.
    It is illegal to base an appointment decision on (among others), gender, sexual orientation, age, ethnic origin or religion. Asking for a photo suggests that a decision might be partly based on some of the above, so they are letting themselves open to a possible Letter From My Solicitor from an unhappy unsuccessful candidate.
    My guess is that the school is:
    (a) an international school, where it is not illegal, and who do, indeed, intend to base their decision on one of the above
    (b) an indy school that hasn't yet caught up with the ramifications of what they are doing, and just think it's nice to put a face to the info that they get.
    Best wishes
    There is now another seminar on Applying for Senior Leadership on 13th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop17.eventbrite.com
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

4. Thanks for that. It is an independent school; I assume it is full of terribly attractive teachers, the ugly ones having been weeded out at the application stage! I'm thinking of phoning them and asking them why they want a photo, just to see what justification they give.
    Cheers,
    Camera-shy Ally

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Do it anonymously then, so as not to rock the boat and lose the chance to see those beautiful new colleagues . . .
    There is now another seminar on Applying for Senior Leadership on 13th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop17.eventbrite.com
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!