1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - Assessment day?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Lara mfl 05, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Understand now why you said 'cryptic!
    If it's assessment, make sure you take some examples of assessment criteria to base any judgements on, if you're asked for example to 'mark and assess' a level' for a piece of work.
    I imagine the other exercises will be to assess how well you interact,s o you can't really prepare for that.
    Best of luck! Am rooting for you and got so many fingers crossed for all these interviews I shouldn't be able to type!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Best of luck!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

3. Thought I'd give an update incase anyone gets invited to something similiar.
    The day was not as bad as I expected it to be, although we were assessed all day, even during lunch!
    There were only five of us there, I had expected there to be more like ten. The day started with a short problem solving task with pupils which acted as an ice breaker. Then we were shown around the school with the head boy and girl and a TA, we later found out that they were going to judge us by the questions we asked during the tour.
    We had to do two written exercises. The first was imagining you had got the job and writing a letter to parents to introduce yourself. The second was writing a lesson plan (for any age group and subject)using whatever format you wanted.
    The other two activities were group presentations about what makes a good school and teacher.
    Overall, I did enjoy the day and liked the fact that it allowed you and the school to get to know each other. However, I would have liked more opportunities to interact with pupils to show myself as a 'teacher'.
    Unfortunately I wasn't chosen to be interviewed but it was a valuable experience.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Thanks for that update. May well help others who could have a similar format.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Sorry you didn't get it, but many thanks for the useful feedback there!
    If you pop over to the Flowers . . . thread, I think you may find an Interflora delivery just for you!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars