1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo- Asking for further information for interview lesson

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by wheek, Apr 17, 2012.

1. wheek

wheek New commenter

Hi Theo,
    I have just received a letter asking me to complete a practical teaching activity as part of the interview process. Yey!
    They have provided some information- however I just wondered on the etiquette surrounding asking for additional information to further inform the lesson. Would this be acceptable to ask for any prior learning surrounding the focus area? It says that they will be mixed ability.
    Thanks- a happy nearly there person!

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Firstly, congratulations on that interview!
    Yes, you can certainly phone the school for extra information. you could ask for information about prior learning, but remember children do forget quite quickly so it wouldn't hurt to revise quickly to assess how much they remember as part of your AfL.
    Best of luck with it.

3. Linda555

Linda555 New commenter

Well done! If you start with a quick warm up finding out what they know, you can do a bit of paired work and it breaks the ice and gives you a good idea of what they know and who's who. In one interview lesson I taught a writing task to Year 3s, but discovered they were at a similar level to my own Year 1 class! That helped to adjust the focus pretty rapidly. Good luck!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done for getting that interview! Go to the Welcome thread and read the Interview clickables for general advice.
    Yes, you can ask if it's essential for you to know. But it may be better to gauge it yourself at the start, having ensured that you have prepared enough dirrentiated material to ocver a range lf levels.
    This thread here gives links to two more threads that are of interest to you.
    https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/566477/7379881.aspx#7379881
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

5. wheek

wheek New commenter

Thanks everyone!
    It is only a twenty minute slot- which is common I know.
    The clickables are very useful so thank you for the direction to those, will still squeeze a starter, main activity and plenary in there!
    I also have the Pimp Your Lesson book so will refer to that to ensure the lesson plan is tiptop!

Eeeeek so happy that my application worked! :)

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done and good luck!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate

7. Ask them. I was once sent loads of extra attainment data on a class i was due to teach at interview - i hadn't asked for it, but another candidate had so in the interests of fairness they sent it to us all.