1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo are there less jobs around than there used to be? Losing hope.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Skye99, Apr 12, 2011.

1. My question is exactly as the title says, are there less jobs around than previously? 5 years ago (when i last changed jobs) it all seemed so easy but this time around i'm waiting and waiting but nothing seems to be coming up? Am i being too impatient, it is only April but i can't help feel that count down is coming...
    Thanks
    S

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, Lara´s right, that´s what I said a few weeks ago . . . 15% fewer jobs.
    But now it´s getting worse.
    So far this year there have been between 25% and 33% fewer jobs advertised than last year - it depends which part of the country. The end of March is normally a Big Date, with TES so big it can hardly be picked up by old weaklings like me. But did you notice anything special about the 25 March TES? No? No, because the big rush that has always come just didn´t.
    Hopefully, hopefully there will be a nice surge after Easter. Cetainly indy schools, whose staff have to get their notice in usually by the beginning of term, should be advertising.
    But the maintained schools, who are of course the biggest employers, are so worried about their finances that many are making staff redundant, others are just absorbing staff losses and not replacing them.
    It is more important than EVER that you get your application as good as possible.
    Follow my advice in the shortlisting clickables in the Welcome thread. Sign up for the Job Seminars - next is 14 May. Really work hard - there is enormaous competition for the jobs that are around. One primary who recently advertised 2 posts got 500 applications . . .
    Best wiahes
    By popular demand! In response to Tessers e-mailing in: another Job Seminar now on Saturday 14th May:
    www.tesweekendworkshop25.eventbrite.com
    The next Moving onto Leadship seminar is Sunday 15th May.
    http://tesweekendworkshop24.eventbrite.com/
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

3. Thanks for the reply Theo, with Easter at such a funny time this year i was starting to think i was panicing to early but it seems not :(

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Good luck to you when they do start coming.
    By popular demand! In response to Tessers e-mailing in: another Job Seminar now on Saturday 14th May:
    www.tesweekendworkshop25.eventbrite.com
    The next Moving onto Leadship seminar is Sunday 15th May.
    http://tesweekendworkshop24.eventbrite.com/
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!