1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo- Applying to schools you are a former pupil of

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by f.a.b, May 31, 2011.

1. Hi all,

What are the do's and don'ts for applying to a school of which you are a former pupil?

Is it unprofessional to mention this in the letter of application? eg being a former pupil I am aware of the ethos of the school and I strongly believe in maintaining high standards etc ?

Or is there a professional way of mentioning you are a former pupil?

Many Thanks,

f.a.b

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Rather than mentioning anything about new developments (which could pout you in a tricky position in interview if they ask your views on them), I think your idea of talking about sharing the school ethos and its high standards in all you do is a good one.
    Make sure that you produce the best possible application, so that they are keen to interview you. Go and look at the Welcome thread and read the shortlisting clickables inside, to get advice that has really helped othet posters.
    The benefit of an executive summary
    Dear Theo: Executive summary works- I have an interview
    taking Theo's Advice
    Good luck!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    The Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, but Julia is planning some more later on.

A new SLT seminar is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.