1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: Applying to be a Learning Mentor when a qualified teacher

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by pineapplehead, Jun 25, 2012.

1. pineapplehead

pineapplehead New commenter

Dear Theo
    Possible jobs (Secondary History/RE) are now like gold dust in my area. Although I have had 4 interviews this year (hooray), I have not been appointed, having always lost out to an NQT (am not bitter, I realise that I am expensive as I have been teaching for 7 years).
    Anyway, I am thinking of applying for Learning Mentor jobs. The money is a lot less, but I still have the chance to work in schools with young people which is what I really want to do. I want to increase my pastoral experience beyond that of form tutor as well and see this as an opportunity to do so.
    However, in your experience, how willing are schools to employ teachers in a non-teaching role and, when I want to go back in to the classroom, how would schools view this career move? Could it potentially make me more employable or, could becoming a mentor effectively put the kibosh on my teaching career?
    Thank you.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

It will depend entirely on how you present yourself to the school for the job - both the LM job now, and the teacher job later.
    I always advise people going into a sideways move, not quite out of teaching but not quite in it, to keep a Learning Diary about how you develop professionally, what you learn is good - and bad - practice. And then to mention it in any application for a teaching post.
    For the LM application, think what it is about you that will make a success of the role. I would thibnk that they would be delighted to have a teacher, myself.
    Best wishes