1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo.. Applying to an independent school

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Lara mfl 05, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Word of mouth with no details is rather annoying!
    So, what you need to do is a nice CV - google Teaching CVs - we don't give advice here as schools aren't supposed to ask for them, but Indies are a law among themselves!
    You also need to do a letter of application, even though they haven't asked for one. 2 sides only, with a proper sized font and good margins at the side, bottom and top, so that it looks good.
    Read the advice in general in the Welcome thread here about getting shortlisted, but you cannot send a summary in this case.
    Go to the Independent Forum and read the general background in the Welcome thread there, so you understand the sector. Also do a search there on that Forum on "applications" - you'll see that it is important to show how you will add value, especially in offering extra curricular (or co-curricular - see what their website calls it) activities.
    Hope that helps!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

3. Thank you Theo (and Lara!) for the advice. Got my CV done, just getting on with the letter of application now. As for extra curricular skills, I have musical ability, I just hope that is enough added value for them! :)

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Skills are very good, but keenness and interest are good too.
    Have you looked at their website - what activities would you be keen to help with? Tell them how keen you are!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.