1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - applying in a school I'm already working in

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Imple, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Hi Theo,
    Just before Christmas you gave me great advice and I got a temporary job until July this year. The school's now advertising the post for September as permanent (it's all a bit involved and HR-driven) and I'll be applying. What I'd like to know is how do I approach this in my covering letter? I'm obviously going to have to change it completely and the head's advised me to write it as if no-one will know anything about me, but I'm really struggling. Any advice would be gratefully received, thank you!
    Sarah

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Don't know quite when Theo's back, but I agree you should approach this just as if it were an outside post. I trhink in the past they've mentioned that it's important <u>not</u> to assume they know all about you, just as your Head has.
    You obviously have some 'insider knowledge' about the school which you could include - possibly something along the lines of you look forward to the opportunity to participate in . .(some particlar area you know where there's a need) etc.
    But really all the points are covered in the opening tips in the clickables, just as in your last application.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

sorry no wifi so no computer. am pecking away on my kindle no punctuation no paraas. yes lara.s advice is spot on. write as though they don.t knoow you even though you know them. main failing of internal candidates is they don.t bother too selll themselves. thinking they know all about me. they know what i do. pretend you.re applying for post at school next door. how would you tell them about what you.ve achieved since xmas q mark. best of luck

4. Thank you both for your replies, you both make lots of sense. One last question though...how much do I change the letter of application that got me the job in the first place only 5 months ago? How much of it dare I keep the same? Am I re-writing it for the sake of it?
    Thank again both of you, good luck with the kindle, Theo!
    <u></u>

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I love my kindle it.s superb for reading but awful for writing. still, it.s meant for reading. You can keep same letter but ned a section about what achieved in time in the school and hhow you hope to continue contributin. best of luck.

6. I was an internal candidate last year and I didnt get the job, I didnt sell myself enough, I did just assume in interview that they would just know what I did, my answers weren't full enough. My head was so frustrated with me afterwards she was like "You could have talked about when you did this, or about this" You can sell yourself as knowing the school and everything and the benefits of this but anything about your skills and practise, tell them EVERYTHING!!

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Exactly! Everything. In interview and also in your application.

8. Thank you, your reply's scared me and kicked me into touch in equal measure. We've had SO many people coming to look round and despite what the staff are saying to me, I daren't take it for granted that I'll even get shortlisted, never mind get the post!
    So again, thanks :)

9. Thank you :)