1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - Applying for the role of SENCO

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Shanna, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Dear Theo,

I have been working in the same school since 2001 and recently the post of SENCO has become available of which I am thinking of applying for. Unfortunately I have no idea where to begin on a Letter of application to support the form as it has been so long. Any advice / tips would be much appreciated.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

The first thing is to get the person specification and the job description. If there isn't one (some schools are like that!), then find a similar post on the TES Jobs and use that.

Then from that do an E.S. This will not be easy, it is the most difficult part of the whole process. It may well take you several hours to do it.

Step-by-step: How to write an E.S.

Once you've done that, then you start writing the accompanying letter of application, because now you know exactly what the school is looking for, and how you meet their needs. You will use some of what is in the E.S., choosing the most important features but expanded, and will have something about what is important to you in carrying out this job, your underlying philosophy.

One thing to be wary of: internal candidates often think I don't need to tell them that - they know what I do. But, yes, you DO need to tell them that, tell them everything, treat it exactly like an application to another school that doesn't know you, both in the application and the interview. That's where the E.S. is so useful, as it helps clarify your thoughts on what you achieve that is relevant to the post.

I suggest that you also read all my advice that is relevant to you -I'm going to put here all the links, even some which you don't need, for the benefit of any other posters who may read this.

Applying for a job in a school I suggest that you read these in this order.

NQTs start here! *** N.B. ***

Do I have to tell my Head I am applying elsewhere?

Pre-application visits to schools

<h4>Why you should always include an E.S. in an application***NEW ***</h4>
    How to get shortlisted for a teaching job *** The basic advice***

How NOT to get shortlisted

How do schools shortlist candidates?

Common errors found in applications

The Truth, the Whole Truth, and Nothing but the Truth!

Who should be my referees?

Can I see my references?

Can your Head write a negative reference for you? Or refuse to write one? Can you see what was written... ***NEW ***

Step-by-step: How to write an E.S. *** More basic advice ***

Executive summaries - where to start when no person specification

Person Spec too long - how do I do an E.S.? And where do I put it? *** Beginners start here ***

Application form: how to present long list of posts outside education

How can I provide details of examination results?

Can I omit, on an application, a period spent teaching abroad?

No CPD to put on the application form!

5 common errors in applications

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.