1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: Applying for "my" job

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by quietlydetermined, Apr 4, 2012.

1. quietlydetermined

quietlydetermined New commenter

Dear Theo, and others

I am an NQT who has been working at a Primary School on a fixed term contract for the year. The post is now being advertised as permanent, so I am in the process of filling in the application form. That, in itself, is not too much of a problem: I'm finding lots to write about in the supporting statement, and I'm lucky to know the school well so I know the types of things they are looking for. However, I'm finding it really difficult to find a good way to begin the supporting statement. Usually I would start with some background information about myself and the teaching I have done, but obviously the school know about me and what I've been teaching! Any ideas? I've hit a real block with it - no idea what to write!

Any help or tips would be much appreciated!

2. quietlydetermined

Dear Theo, and others

I am an NQT who has been working at a Primary School on a fixed term contract for the year. The post is now being advertised as permanent, so I am in the process of filling in the application form. That, in itself, is not too much of a problem: I'm finding lots to write about in the supporting statement, and I'm lucky to know the school well so I know the types of things they are looking for. However, I'm finding it really difficult to find a good way to begin the supporting statement. Usually I would start with some background information about myself and the teaching I have done, but obviously the school know about me and what I've been teaching! Any ideas? I've hit a real block with it - no idea what to write!

Any help or tips would be much appreciated!

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

One BIG problem when applying to a school where you're known is exactly this. NEVER assume this, but write your application just as you would for a school where you aren't known.

4. quietlydetermined

Thank you for replying Lara. My application is pretty much the same as if I was applying for another job, it is only in the introduction to it that I'm struggling with this. It just sounds a bit odd to write about currently teaching year 5, for example, when they obviously know that. Would you just write it the same as another application anyway? I appreciate your advice!

5. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

I'm going to be in the same situation in a month or so when my job is advertised! Dreading it. Particularly when (if) I get to interview and have to big myself up. I don't mind bigging myself up to strangers but going on about how great you are to people you work with is just weird....

I'm not assuming by any stretch of the imagination that I will get this job so I'm going to be following this thread closely to see if any more advice comes up.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, to both of you.
    What Lara says is 100% correct.
    You should always write the internal application as though it were for another school. You should pretend that they know NOTHING about you.
    The major failing of internal candidates is that you assume that the shortlisting and appointment panels know everything about you, so don't bother to put it in. This will make your application look weak compared to other candidates - and there may be A governor involved who doesn't know you.
    By the way - don't forget to re-read all the clickables and other help threads inside the Welcome thread,
    My advice on writing applications is contained mainly in those shortlisting clickables inside the welcome thread here on this Forum. Also, you should read the FAQs.
    For an effective application, you should send:
    • an application form with every bit filled in, no "See letter"
    • an application letter OR personal statement. Not both but certainly one of them.
    • a cover letter ONLY if you do a personal statement. See FAQs inside the Welcome thread
    • an Executive summary. If there's a space on the form, put it in there; if not, put it at the end of your letter so that it gets printed out automatically. The shortlisting clickables explain about this.
    Best wishes