1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, applying for my job questions.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by gaguy, May 31, 2011.

1. Dear Theo, I wrote a few weeks ago regarding my position. I have a four months contract and last month the Head told me they gave the permanent position to someone else. As my contract stated that there would be a new recruitment process and that I could reapply for a permanent position, I now have the interview with the governors.I have never done an interview as an internal candidate so would be grateful if you could help me with a few questions. I don't have much hope but still want to give my best shot.
    1/ I have read the possible questions for interview which I am working on.Are there other questions more specific for internal candidates?
    I expect questions on the line of: did the school fulfill your expectations? why do you want to stay? what can you bring to the school?..... in the past four months I ensured that I fully participated to the extra curricular life of the school which I will mention, I have built excellent relationship with the pupils, staff / Parents seem happy with me too, as there has been no complain about me, they don't even know I have to reapply, they just expect me to stay. Colleagues within my departments have written a letter of support and the other teachers have offered to do the same, I will take up their offer now, I wasn't sure before as I did not want to sound too pushy or manipulative.
    2/ should I bring a portfolio of what I ve done? I have taught a new subject to the school so had to create the scheme of work/ resources from scratch, so should I bring what I ve done to show? Should I bring pupils' exercise books to show how much progress they 've made in the past three months? I understand that I will have to be specific and without giving names, I will give examples of success stories for my students across the age range.
    3/ can I mention what I would like to change next year?
    I don't want to make big changes but would like my pupils to do more experimentations( the topic I had to do this term , did not allow any) as it enhances their learning. I also want to order more books for the library ( I am in charge of it) according to the pupils' requests....
    4/ any other thoughts on the interview for me?
    I truly enjoy and love working there, but I don't want to sound too simple by saying I enjoy, I want to be more specific in everything I say about the school, the staff and more importantly the pupils.
    5/ can I mention that it would be detrimental to the pupils to have yet another teacher? they are nursery and primary pupils so if I leave, it would be the third teacher in twelve months.
    I am an internal candidate but like I said , the head told me they appointed someone else, so I will be fighting tooth and nail to keep my job and really want to impress them and make them they realise they made a big mistake. No contract was signed with the other person, it was more an informal conversation with the head, all a bit shady and borderline legal if you ask me, as we are not supposed to contact board of governors .
    thank you in advance for your help Theo and anyone else who can guide me.
    Gaguy

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I am somewhat confused. You say " I have a four months contract and last month the Head told me they gave the permanent position to someone else." & " I have a four months contract and last month the Head told me they gave the permanent position to someone else"
    So how can you apply for a position which has already been filled? Or is it another position within the school?
    2 Definitely collect a portfolio of work including your Scheme of Work.
    3 Only mention it if it comes up as a genuine answer or which you can state as part of an answer would be my opinion but Theo & others may feel differently.
    5 The comment " it would be the third teacher in twelve months."
    would appear to be superfluous if the post is already filled & definitely unprofessional to state
    it! You could comment how well the children settled under your teaching
    & how you feel they would benfit by continuity, but as it would be
    another year's cohort, this is less important than secondary midway
    through an exam course.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Q1. No specific internal ones, and it is important to treeat this as an external interview. By this i mean that you should not fall into the trap of thinking: They know all about me, I don't have to tell them that.

You certainly need to draw up a list of what you have done, to be ready to spout it out as soon as you can.
    Parents should not know anything about your situation, so do make sure that you don't tell them. It would not be in your favour if the parents wrote in your support, I'm afraid.
    Q2. Yes, but brief. They will not want to leaf throughg piles of stuff. I suggest in fact that you have a summary, a one-page summary, that you can hand out to each of them, with the portfolio as back up evidence. That way they will get all the main points without having to guess what you've done by looking at things. Govs cannot tell progress, anyway!
    Q3 Be careful that you don't give the impression that you feel that changes are needed. Talk about your continuing contributions.
    Q5 You should never say anything negative. Talk about your hopes of consolidation, of continuatioin for the pupiuls, but briefly and doi not suggest that the other candidate is in any way inferior to yourself as a teacher
    Have you discussed thsi informally with the regional office of your union?
    Good luck!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    The Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, but Julia is planning some more later on.

A new SLT seminar is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.