1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - applying for jobs in the UK after teaching abroad

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by anon3283, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Dear Theo,

I have been teaching abroad (Uk curriculum in an EU country) for just over 3 years now and for personal reasons I am moving home at the end of this academic year. Although I have taught from the National Curriculum, I have fallen behind with current teaching practice and have not received any formal training while I've been away. How should I approach this when applying for jobs at home? Can anybody point me in the direction of any websites etc where I can read up on current issues/ practices? How much is this likely to put off potential employers? I have had a look at the advice on the Overseas teachers forum but wondered if I could possibly ask you on here too!

Thank you so much in advance!

Rebecs :)

2. Dear Theo,

I have been teaching abroad (Uk curriculum in an EU country) for just over 3 years now and for personal reasons I am moving home at the end of this academic year. Although I have taught from the National Curriculum, I have fallen behind with current teaching practice and have not received any formal training while I've been away. How should I approach this when applying for jobs at home? Can anybody point me in the direction of any websites etc where I can read up on current issues/ practices? How much is this likely to put off potential employers? I have had a look at the advice on the Overseas teachers forum but wondered if I could possibly ask you on here too!

Thank you so much in advance!

Rebecs :)

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Just carrying out my promise to Mrs TG to take her out for dinner, and need to shave and do my hair, etc . . . .
    Will reply tomorrow morning!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

4. Thank you! Enjoy your evening :)

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

It's great working abroad, but getting a job back in the UK is hard nowadays.
    The major problem (apart from the fact that there are so few jobs) is being away from UK so not being available for interview at short notice. And, no, you cannot do it by Skype . . . nearly every school wants an observed teaching session anyway.
    And since nowadays very many schools do not even pay travel expenses for candidates who are already in the country, they are highly unlikely to pay them for anything less than a Deputy Head candidate from abroad. Some independent schools may be an exception here - I used to pay fares from touchdown in the UK (Dover harbour, or Gatwick airport), and then refund the airfare in first paycheck for a successful candidate. But not too likely in the state sector.
    Schools are thus less likely to shortlist you, as they will feel a bit guilty making you pay out the fare from abroad, on the off-chance that you might get a job. If you have read this right through
    End of contract and applying for a post in the UK for September?
    You will have seen Mainwaring's helpful suggestion there - but this does depend on your school abroad being flexible about letting you go to the UK at short notice.
    What this means, basically, is that unless you are very lucky, can get back to UK early June, are very flexible in where you go, and are teaching a subject that is in demand . . . you may well come back to no job. Supply has almost dried up, so that's not an option. Just warning you - there are thousands of unemployed teachers here in the UK.
    You also have the slight problem of the CRB check, which will include a requirement for you, in many cases, to have a Police certificate of good behaviour (or similar) from your current country. Start asking for this by Easter in case it takes some time.
    But the issue of being out of touch is a difficult one.
    There used to be a super TDA magazine that was available on line for returners to teaching, and that was useful for those of you coming back from abroad. But they zapped it when they stopped the Return to Teaching courses - too many unemployed teachers already, no need to train any more.
    You could register with the RTT programme (I think you would qualify as not currently employed as a teacher in UK) for on-line support on updating.
    http://www.tda.gov.uk/teacher/returning-to-teaching/faqs.aspx
    There is also this great book (No, I do NOT get any money for recommending it!) which gives you an introduction to what is expected nowadays in an observed lesson in the UK.
    Well worth buying - it is an easy read too, not dry and difficult.
    [​IMG]
    Best wishes!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

6. Thank you so much for your advice :) I'm a primary teacher and realistically am fully expecting to come back in the summer with no job to go to :(
    The plan at the moment is to come back, keep my fingers tightly crossed for supply work or a maternity cover and try again for the next academic year! I know it's going to be a struggle though.

Once again, thank you for your help!