1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - applying for jobs abroad

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by katherinium, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Hi Theo,

I was hoping for some advice about my letters of application for international schools. I've applied for loads of schools and haven't got anywhere. I've tweaked my CV using advice from the forums, and tried to follow advice on the international forum but it hasn't helped yet. I was told to keep the letter to a page/ page and a half. What do you think are the most essential things to write about? I only have 2 1/2 years experience plus 4 months teaching English voluntarily abroad, and I think this is going against me somewhat, as is the fact that I've spent this year travelling and volunteering. So the letter of application needs to be really good! Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

2. Hi Theo,

I was hoping for some advice about my letters of application for international schools. I've applied for loads of schools and haven't got anywhere. I've tweaked my CV using advice from the forums, and tried to follow advice on the international forum but it hasn't helped yet. I was told to keep the letter to a page/ page and a half. What do you think are the most essential things to write about? I only have 2 1/2 years experience plus 4 months teaching English voluntarily abroad, and I think this is going against me somewhat, as is the fact that I've spent this year travelling and volunteering. So the letter of application needs to be really good! Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You have enough UK experience. You have ESOL experience. You have shown that you can survive abroad, adjust to new cultures, etc. These are not negatives, they are big positives - are you making the most of this?
    What's wrong?
    I would say a two-page letter would be better than just a shorter one. But you seem to me to be the sort of candidate that people are looking for.
    As this is not a UK post, the ban on CVs doesn't apply. Have you googled Teaching CV to get some hints?
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

4. Thanks for your vote of confidence - lots of people on the international jobs forum have been telling me I don't have a chance because of taking time out and not having all that much experience in the first place. I don't know what's wrong with my letter of application, I haven't heard back from any of the schools I've applied to so I haven't received feedback.

In my letter, I try to start paragraphs by picking out key philosophies found on the website or aspects from the job specification and then explain why I fill the criteria, backing this up with in-school evidence. Does that sound right?

I have googled teaching CV's and read a TES article about CV's and changed mine accordingly.

I've read some of your posts about executive summaries - are these also a good idea for international schools? I just really feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall at the moment.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

An executive summary always impresses.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

6. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Keep trying! Applying for jobs overseas is a lot easier than in the UK, surely? And a SKYPE interview is a lot cheaper than actually going there in person...
    Right now in Doha it's warm, sunny and about 24 degrees C.