1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - applying for job in my current school

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by jolyons, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Dear Theo,

I am applying for the position of SENCo in the school in which I currently work as a maths teacher. What do I do about referees? Obviously the application form requests that one of your referees be your current head, but as I also have to send the application TO him it seems a bit odd to put him down as a referee!

Your advice would be appreciated.

2. Also - what happens if your previous headteacher has moved on (and you don't know where to) - do you still put your previous school down (I know that most heads pass the references onto HoDs etc) and if so, do you name the current head which you have never met or put the previous head's name? Sorry if this sounds confusing!

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I did this recently and yes I put my current HT down as one referee. Then my previous HT. And then added, there was space for three, a previous DH because the HT has moved on.

I also used a rather more formal greeting in the email than I usually would. Hi XXX didn't seem right for an application!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Good luck!

5. dizzymai

dizzymai New commenter

Sorry to gatecrash, but wondering how it's going MINNIE?