1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: Applying for Independent education

Discussion in 'Independent' started by whitleyjen, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Hello,
    I am student teacher applying for my first post. A job has come up at a private school near me that I am very excited about as it looks like it would be a really good place to work, and an excellent place to be an NQT in particular.
    On the letter that came with the application it says that the school are looking for a person who "believes in Indepedent education", which I've taken to mean private education given the school and not children working independently (also because of the capital I used!)
    I have two questions - have I got this right, is this what they mean and if so, how on earth do I show on my CV or letter of application that I "believe in Independent education"?! I was educated in a state comprehensive and with this being my first job have obviously never worked in a private school, and so this really has me stumped!
    Any advice please?!

2. Hello,
    I am student teacher applying for my first post. A job has come up at a private school near me that I am very excited about as it looks like it would be a really good place to work, and an excellent place to be an NQT in particular.
    On the letter that came with the application it says that the school are looking for a person who "believes in Indepedent education", which I've taken to mean private education given the school and not children working independently (also because of the capital I used!)
    I have two questions - have I got this right, is this what they mean and if so, how on earth do I show on my CV or letter of application that I "believe in Independent education"?! I was educated in a state comprehensive and with this being my first job have obviously never worked in a private school, and so this really has me stumped!
    Any advice please?!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, you are right - Independent education is not the same as independent learning!
    The first thing that you need to do is read the Welcome thread here on this forum, giving you loads of information about the sector.
    Then you need to read the school's website so that you understand all about its ethos, what it stands for.
    Have a good browse around on this forum too.
    Then once you can say honestly that you understand what it is that makes these schools different, special, then you can see - and say - whether or not you believe in them.
    This may be helpful in general for you:
    Yes you can do your Induction Year in an Independent School
    General advice on job applications is available on the JobSeekers forum, in the Welcome thread there. Here is this for starters:
    Dear Theo: Cover Letter..
    And I will also say that if you are now beginning job hunting, then you need to attend this:
    Winning That Teaching Job – Saturday 28th April - Making the best of your application – How to make sure your application gets noticed - How to shine at Interview
    For more information and to register please visit: www.tesweekendworkshop100.eventbrite.co.uk
    Best wishes