1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - applying for a job where I have failed to shortlist

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Ultrafin, May 1, 2012.

1. Thanks Theo, I am surprised that you advise not mentioning my previous application though. It is a very small school, and I visited for the first application, so it would seem sensible to say that on my previous visit I gathered much about the school.

Even so, should I really not mention the previous application?

Thanks.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

They may, or may not, remember the application but if you have been following all the advice here and have now written an improved application, you don't want to remind them of a previous application which didn't catch their attention enough to shortlist you last time.
    If they remember, you want them to be impressed by you NOW, against a different cohort of applicants.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You didn't ask whether you should mention a previous visit, you asked whether you should mention a previous unsuccessful application.
    I still suggest that you do not draw their attention to the application. You can mention having visited the school but without making it obvious that this was linked to a rejected application.

Posted from my Galaxy Tab

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You didn't ask whether you should mention a previous visit, you asked whether you should mention a previous unsuccessful application.
    I still suggest that you do not draw their attention to the application. You can mention having visited the school but without making it obvious that this was linked to a rejected application.

Posted from my Galaxy Tab