1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - Applying for a job in my placement school

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by PotionsMistress, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Hello!I'm a chemistry PGCE student currently on my 2nd placement in a really brilliant school. Today we were told that they are looking for a physics teacher, and that they hoped we would apply.
    At university they say that we should give the headteacher of our placement as the first referee but what do you do when you apply for jobs at the school you're in? It seems stupid to put the headteacher down when the job is at his school!
    They also say we should put the head of the college as our second referee so that they could pass it on to our tutors. However, on the application form it says that students should not put the head of the college as a referee, so who would they be expecting instead?
    All the staff are extremely supportive but I don't really feel comfortable asking for their help as I normally would since the job is in their department!
    Sorry if these questions seem stupid - I'm still new to this game and pretty much started worrying the minute they told us there was a job going! Oh dear!

2. Surely you have a mentor in the school? This is exactly what they are for, if they don't know they should find out for you

3. I have a similar problem. There is a position my school and I feel that I should apply but it's a little out of my reach and remit and was thinking of asking the heads for his opinion.

4. Someone at the placement in your first school?

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

About the referees that you need, Potions.
    If they say on the application form that you should not put the Head of College, then put your College Tutor.
    As for the referee from the school, I suggest that you ask your school mentor whether it would be best to put down him/her, or the Head of Physics (if ir's a different person), or the Head.
    It actually won't matter which of these people they say, because whichever you put down, it will be your mentor who is asked to speak on your behalf!
    Noe pop over to the Welcome thread at the top of the Forum, and read the Shortlisting clickables inside.
    Best wishes

6. Thanks Theo - it makes more sense now!