1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - applications

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Amelia789, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Hello,

I am relatively new to teaching - am in my third year and feel it is time for me to move on from the school I have completed my NQT year in and get experience of other schools and also because I would like to try out Key Stage 1 (I am currently a teacher at a junior school). I am a little unsure how to go about seeking a new teaching post at another school and have been advised by others not to hand my notice in before I secure a new post. I am a little unsure how I would be able to do this though as I would need time out of school to visit other schools, attend interviews, etc and also I would need to ask my headteacher for a reference. I would much rather be honest and open about the fact I am looking. Do you have any advice about how I should go about applying for a new teaching post?

Many thanks.

2. Hello,

I am relatively new to teaching - am in my third year and feel it is time for me to move on from the school I have completed my NQT year in and get experience of other schools and also because I would like to try out Key Stage 1 (I am currently a teacher at a junior school). I am a little unsure how to go about seeking a new teaching post at another school and have been advised by others not to hand my notice in before I secure a new post. I am a little unsure how I would be able to do this though as I would need time out of school to visit other schools, attend interviews, etc and also I would need to ask my headteacher for a reference. I would much rather be honest and open about the fact I am looking. Do you have any advice about how I should go about applying for a new teaching post?

Many thanks.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo and welcome!
    Let's look at your points.
    Absolutely correct!
    You have (if you are in a maintained school in England & Wales) until 31 May to hand in your notice. I will say that jobs in Primary are showing still a great deal of competition, so unless you have recently won the Lottery, or your Daddy the Duke is letting you live in the castle for free, you should not risk resigning without a job, as you could be unemployed.
    Yes, you are right - you need to talkj first of all to your Head. Say how you have appreciated all the prof development opportunities you have had working with such good colleagues, and will be reluctant to leave, but feel that now is the time to further your career. I am sure that s/he will be very understanding, even if reluctant to lose you!
    The school visiting will, of course, have to fit in with the needs of your current school, and may not always be possible. Read post 7 in this thread:
    School visits
    The final point is: do follow the application advice on here
    There's loads of advice available here for you. The advice on writing applications is contained mainly in those shortlisting clickables inside the Welcome thread here on this Forum. Also, you should read the FAQs.
    For an effective application, you should send:
    •an application form with every bit filled in, no "See letter"
    •an application letter OR personal statement. Not both but certainly one of them.
    •a cover letter ONLY if you do a personal statement. See FAQs inside the Welcome thread
    •an Executive summary. If there's a space on the form, put it in there; if not, put it at the end of your letter so that it gets printed out automatically. The shortlisting clickables explain about this.
    The Welcome thread clickables explain about an executive summary.
    Best wishes