1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - application question

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Lara mfl 05, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Read Theo's superb advice about at the thread at the start of this forum, including whether Personal statement or letter of application
    Welcome - Jobseeking FAQs - Apply and get shortlisted - Interview...
    I think it's in this one Jobseeking FAQs
    But generally, schools don't use CVs(although I wonder if that might change in the future as more schools become Academies and run by people outside education?),more difficult to compare applications on an even footing and include either a personal statement or a lettterof application.
    Personally, as you're going for DH, I think you should write a superb personal statement to include with your application, because as you realise the form is for data-collecting and your statement what 'sells' you to the school.
    Best of luck with it and don't forget to post your Dear Theo I got the job thread when you get it to encourage others!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

My advice on writing applications is contained mainly in the shortlisting clickables inside the welcome thread here on this Forum.
    For an effective application, you should send:
    • an application form with every bit filled in, no "See letter"
    • an application letter OR personal statement. Not both but certainly one of them.
    • a cover letter ONLY if you do a personal statement. See FAQs inside the Welcome thread for the difference
    • an Executive summary. If there's a space on the form, put it in there; if not, put it at the end of your letter so that it gets printed out automatically. The shortlisting clickables explain about this.
    A CV is not required for an application to a maintained school; however an Academy, a Free School, an independent school or an international school may ask for one. Unless you are specifically asked for a CV, therefore, you should not send one. Save your effort for producing a superb personal statement/letter of application with its complementary executive summary.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
    I am timetabled for the October 22nd Win that teaching job seminars - see you there!