1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - application question help please

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Nimstar, May 6, 2012.

1. Nimstar

Nimstar New commenter

Hi,
    I am in the throes of completing an application form for a job (secondary maths) and am stumped on this question:

"Give an example of a time when you explained something complex to students to help them to improve their learning"
    I'm stumped by "complex" - my low-end Y7s find fractions complex but not sure I'd consider that a good example...
    Any idea what they are looking for here??
    Thanks,
    Nim

2. Nimstar

Nimstar New commenter

Hi,
    I am in the throes of completing an application form for a job (secondary maths) and am stumped on this question:

"Give an example of a time when you explained something complex to students to help them to improve their learning"
    I'm stumped by "complex" - my low-end Y7s find fractions complex but not sure I'd consider that a good example...
    Any idea what they are looking for here??
    Thanks,
    Nim

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder . . . and complexity is in the mind of the learner.
    If your low-end Y7s find fractions complex, then how you explained it to them is a good example. At least, it would be if you explained it effectively! Do remember to show not only the situation and your actions but also the outcome - including anything that you learned from this.
    Two thoughts here: have you read all the FAQs and the Shortlisting clickables inside the Welcome thread? And have you considered coming to TES HQ on Saturday, for some help with applications?
    Win that Teaching Job, Sat 12th May am only
    www.tesweekendworkshop103.eventbrite.co.uk
    Interview Coaching in small group Sat 12thMay – am and pm
    www.tesweekendworkshop102.eventbrite.co.uk
    Best wishes.