1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

dear Theo, application query

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Pegasus32, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Pegasus32

Pegasus32 New commenter

Dear Theo and all,

I have a query. A friend is completing an application form that has a large section for you to give reasons for applying, suitability for the role etc. It asks you to refer to the job spec as you would expect. However, the how to apply notes also state that applicants should submit a covering letter that outlines your suitability for the role. Would you not be stating the same information in each document, thus repeating yourself? Can you offer any advice as to how you can make these very different? I'd be most grateful for any suggestions that I can pass on.

Many thanks,

Pegasus

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, you are right that there will be some cross-over. But . . .

But your friend could put an E.S, in the space in the form, answering every single point in bullet point format. The letter of application will talk, in joined-up prose, in fuller detail about the main issues, including matching ethos, philosophy of education and all those things that cannot be answered in 5 or 6 words in an E.S.

Best wishes

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

P.S. Sorry this reply was so late.I was delayed by swans on the M25 . . .

:D

4. Pegasus32

Pegasus32 New commenter

Thanks Theo, great advice as always and what a lovely reason for a delay for once!