1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - Application one-to-one advice?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by nooty, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Hi!
    I remember reading on here about November time that someone had met with TheoGriff to get one-to-one help with their CV. How do you go about booking a one-to-one with the one and only TheoGriff? I've followed him very closely on the TES forums for ages, since I became a trainee in 2005. His advice helped me get a job very early on in my training, and have continued to read the advice he gives to others.
    Last year, my husband and I were due to emigrate, but when that didn't happen, I'd already handed in my notice (very long notice period at my old job!), so I took the opportunity to try something different for a year - not a million miles from teaching, but something that would give me more experience. I'm now running behaviour, social and emotional intervention sessions in a base school and around the city, but my heart lies with teaching, so when my contract ends in 6 weeks, I want to go back to the classroom, armed with new ideas, new confidence, enthusiasm and determination.
    However, I've been applying for jobs since before Christmas and I'm really struggling - many Heads think (and one even said, with disgust in her voice) I left because I "couldn't cope" with a whole class (despite the fact I work with some incredibly difficult children, and I advise and support teachers, deputies, heads, etc... on behavioural problems) and even though I explain my job, they seem to have a real problem with the fact I left teaching. Yet when I talk to Heads in the schools I work at, they're saying what a positive thing it is that I have such varied experience and it's a shame there's no jobs at their schools.
    I've sent 8 applications since December for positions I'm more than qualified and experienced to do, but haven't had one interview. This time last year, I sent 3 applications in a few weeks and got 3 interviews... I need help!! I've spoken to Heads about my cv and applications and followed their advice but still nothing. I need to know what to cut out, what to keep, a general overhaul. TheoGriff may be the answer to all my problems..!
    Any info from anyone would be great!
    Thank you for reading.

2. Ignore this..... spotted the info on another thread.
    Still working on the executive summary - but can't seem to 'summarise'. With jobs that have upto 40 points to meet (only under 'essential'; 'desirable' - another 10!), I'm finding it really hard work!
    May well be attending that London workshop on Friday!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well, I look forward to meeting you, then, Nooty!
    Either at the seminar on Friday www.tesweekendworkshop15.eventbrite.com
    or at a personal one-to-one meeting (book by e-mailing Julia on advice@tsleducation.com .
    At an individual meeting we can really get to grips with your personal issues, of course. Mind you, everyone who comes to a seminar gives an excellent evaluation, and they all say that they would recommend it to other people.
    But be warned that as I flit back and forth between Spain and UK, there are only 3 more weeks available for individual meetings . . .
    Best wishes
    The next Applications Workshop I'm doing that still has vacancies is on Friday 25th February. www.tesweekendworkshop15.eventbrite.com

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for more details of how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!