1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo... Application logistics

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Ellie426, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Hello!
    Just need a bit of advice on how to fill in an application...

Basically, the ones I have done so far have consisted of an application form with a section at the end to put a personal statement in. I have then put a cover letter on with a brief summary of what I have said.
    Anyway, for one school, I have been sent the application form via post. The letter says to send back a letter with 1-2 pages of why you want the post (so a personal statement).
    Now I don't know what to do. Do I:
    a) Send back the application (handwritten, though this hasn't been specified) with a letter with my personal statement leaving the box on the form blank
    b) Send back the application (typed, and I can just use the same form outline from previous applications as it's the same LA) with the letter personal statement.
    c) Put my personal statement on the form and put a cover letter as usual
    or d) Send back the application with the personal statement filled in along with a 1-2 page letter (though this feels like overkill)
    Just a bit confused about etiquette here and what would be best to post back to them??

2. Hello!
    Just need a bit of advice on how to fill in an application...

Basically, the ones I have done so far have consisted of an application form with a section at the end to put a personal statement in. I have then put a cover letter on with a brief summary of what I have said.
    Anyway, for one school, I have been sent the application form via post. The letter says to send back a letter with 1-2 pages of why you want the post (so a personal statement).
    Now I don't know what to do. Do I:
    a) Send back the application (handwritten, though this hasn't been specified) with a letter with my personal statement leaving the box on the form blank
    b) Send back the application (typed, and I can just use the same form outline from previous applications as it's the same LA) with the letter personal statement.
    c) Put my personal statement on the form and put a cover letter as usual
    or d) Send back the application with the personal statement filled in along with a 1-2 page letter (though this feels like overkill)
    Just a bit confused about etiquette here and what would be best to post back to them??

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No, don't hand write it unless spe3cifically asked to
    No, don't ever leave a box blank. Read the shortlisting clickables about that.
    No, I wouldn't do that.
    I don't think, from reading your questions, that you have had time yet to read the advice and help on this Forum.
    There's masses of help available on here - Do start by checking all the clickables and other help threads inside the Welcome thread. Also, you should read the FAQs.
    For an effective application, you should send the following:
    • an application form with every bit filled in, no "See letter"
    • an application letter OR personal statement. Not both but certainly one of them.
    • a cover letter ONLY if you do a personal statement. See FAQs inside the Welcome thread
    • an Executive summary. If there's a space on the form, put it in there; if not, put it at the end of your letter so that it gets printed out automatically. The shortlisting clickables explain about this.
    The Welcome thread clickables explain about an executive summary. They also talk about planning a personal statement/letter of application.
    So in your case: executive summary in the box on the form, plus a letter of application, NOT a cover letter.
    Best wishes