1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: Application Form query

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by JCA_1989, Feb 25, 2011.

1. JCA_1989

JCA_1989 New commenter

Hi Theo,
    I am currently filling in my first application form and have come to the space where the supporting statement should be put. However the space given is around 1/4 of a page, obviously will have to go onto additional sheets. As the rest of the application form is hand written, do you think it would be okay for me to put 'see additional sheets, instead of starting my statement in that box'? That way I can type the statement up rather than writing it all out. I must say that they have not specified for a written statement.
    Cheers

JCA

2. JCA_1989

JCA_1989 New commenter

Hi Theo,
    I am currently filling in my first application form and have come to the space where the supporting statement should be put. However the space given is around 1/4 of a page, obviously will have to go onto additional sheets. As the rest of the application form is hand written, do you think it would be okay for me to put 'see additional sheets, instead of starting my statement in that box'? That way I can type the statement up rather than writing it all out. I must say that they have not specified for a written statement.
    Cheers

JCA

3. Yes, this is what I do. In fact, I was talking to a headteacher recently whilst on supply and she said this is what applicants should do. She always looks for handwritten applications then in the supporting statement box something like 'see additional sheets' and then a typed up statement included with the form.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, quarter of a page is too little - daft really.
    So I agree with above poster that you need, in this case, to write See attached
    Although normally it is best not to.
    Best of luck!
    There is now another seminar on Applying for Senior Leadership on 13th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop17.eventbrite.com
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

5. I would have no problem handwriting the basic application forms, but the problem is that the columns in the tables are often so tiny that it is almost impossible to do this.
    I have on occasions replicated sheets of "employment experience" etc in Word and just typed the whole thing so it looks more presentable.
    It is frustrating to have a different application form for each job, each asking for slightly different information each time.
    One more niggle: I was applying for a job earlier this week -- started off using the computer-based one through the TES website, and then checked the form available from the school's website. The forms were totally different.
    What to do, eh?