1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: Application form quandry.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by balloon_parade, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Good morning!

I am in a bit of a quandry, I've seen a job applied for at my previous placement school and at present, their posts aren't advertised on the council website, just their own. Due to this they have the old version of the council application form in a locked PDF file, so I'd have to handwrite it. I have got a copy of the newer council application form (unlocked PDF) so I could type it up. Should I use this? Or ring up to check?
    Also, as it's my previous placement school shall I go on a school visit? I got on really well with all the staff there, especially KS1 (where the job is advertised) and I spent 6 weeks there. Would it look silly if I went? (I was hoping to jog a few memories! [​IMG] ) Although I know they have a lot of trainees (including GTP, whereas I am PGCE) so it would be stiff competition.Still, worth a punt!
    And another point, my placement class teacher is one of my references--is it still appropriate to ask for a reference for her school?
    I hope you can help! I really loved it there and this job would just be perfect! Also, I know they would give me honest feedback on any application form or interview.

Regards,
    BP

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Q1 Yes, use the new unlocked one
    Q2 Yes, go on the visit - but be very very very low key - otherwise the other candidates will hate you, and that's not fair on them.
    Q3 Yes, ask her, it should be OK.
    Hope your luck is in - make sure that you read the shortlisting clickables inside the Welcome thread.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please visit www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars or contact advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions.