1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: Application form help

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by TTPrimary, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Dear Theo
    I am currently completing an application form and I have noticed there appears to be a gap in my history from December - February this is due to searching for jobs and trying to get signed up with an agency for supply so although there is nothing listed on my application form for this short period I was actively searching for work.
    I have noticed there is an option for non-teaching employement history and unremunerated activity within the application form and wondered if there is something I should include within this section? Within this section however I am asked to provide the following details:
    • Employer (if appropriate)
    • Post Title (if appropriate)
    • Brief description of activity/responsibilities or duties
    • Full-time or part-time
    • Date from
    • Date to
    • Reason for leaving
    This information makes me think it would not be suitable to include this information here. Please can you give me some advice to where this information would fit and how best to structure this.
    Thank you in advance

2. Someone may have better advice, perhaps include an extra sheet of paper detailing during them months you were seeking work and awaiting CRB for supply agencies. I don't think it matters as long as they know the reason you were out of education/employment at that point, confirming that you weren't in prison or something. Hope that helps. [​IMG]

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Oh, application forms - don't we all just HATE them!
    Now I don't know your job and education history. But to make it easier for the person reading the form (and that, along with accuracy, should be a major consideration), I suggest that you put it in the general employment bit, so that it is in chronological order. So you would have something like this:
    1 Sept 2010 - 30 Nov 2010. Supply teacher St Mary's School
    1 Dec 2010 - 28 Feb 2011 (Actively seeking employment)
    Put in brackets so clear at a glance (easy to read - remember?) that it isn't employment. And then in all the other columns just put a dash.
    That will be fine.
    Accurate, and easy to understand.
    N.B. do make sure that you read the shortlisting clickables inside the Welcome thread
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars