1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo...application form and letter of application?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by starlight189, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Hiya,
    A job I'm applying for asks for an application form and an accompanying letter of application.
    The form has a place for a personal statement....so do I just do a personal statement and a covering letter? Or do I write my personal statement in a letter form and then leave the box blank?
    So confusing!

2. Also, I'm writing my executive summary and one of the criteria is "fun with a sense of humour". Is it appropraite to mention something like "dressed up as a giant seahorse as an entertainer" or would it be better to just miss this one out? Opinions please?

3. Hi Starlight, I have had a similar worry in the past, the way I approached it was to write in the personal statement box "please find attached" and sent it as an extra document, with a separate two paragraph covering letter, basically indicating what was included in my application and thanking them for my school visit for example. Hope that helps!

4. Brilliant, thanks! :)

5. lighthouse_keeper

lighthouse_keeper New commenter

Definitely don't leave this box out! It's important to show you are fun as well as a great teacher - and I think it says good things about the school if they want someone with a sense of humour. Perhaps don't be quite as specific as the "seahorse" example [​IMG] but say something along the lines of you enjoy being able to bring fun to the role and then give a school-based example perhaps - dressing up for a school charity event?
    Try to explain you are fun on an everyday level as well, but without sounding like you never get any work done...it's quite tricky but I really think that being able to have fun at work as well as do a great job is really important - one of the reasons I was really keen on my new school for September is that on their person spec, they asked for someone with a sense of humour as a desirable quality. In my opinion that's a key skill in such a stressful job!
    Why don't you show how "an element of fun and laughter" is important in your role as a teacher...I'm sure you can put it much better than I can, as you know exactly what it is that you do to bring fun to the role. Link it with your classroom practice - making things more fun for kids to enhance learning must be a winner! Good luck!

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Er, no!
    Best not to do that.
    Best never to write: please see letter, or please see attached.
    When we send out application forms, we want you to fill them in. All of them. Not leaving bits blank or saying Please see attached.
    Not a good idea at all to make the school work. To make them put down the application form and have to pick up a different piece of paper to get the information that they wanted on the form.
    Please do not do that!
    The best thing to do in this very lucky situation, where you have a whole page for extra information on the form, is to put the Executive Summary in there. Perfect!
    And if you don't know what an E.S. is, then you haven't read the Shortlisting clickables inside the Welcome thread.
    Well, I know that you haven't anyway, because one of them says not to leave part of the form blank and just write See CV . . .
    So go and read the shortlisting clickables inside the Welcome thread, to get advice that has really helped othet posters.
    The benefit of an executive summary
    Dear Theo: Executive summary works- I have an interview
    taking Theo's Advice
    So, just to re-cap; your application will have:
    • An application form, with the E.S. as part of it
    • A personal statement OR a letter of application (same thing really - see the FAQs)
    • A covering letter, very brief, 2 sentences, but ONLY if you write a personal statement. You don't have a covering letter if you have a letter of application.
    Best of luck!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!

7. Hello, don't think my reply was very clear! I am definitely not leaving any part of the form out, but where I am applying for jobs the personal statement box/question asks for it to be included as a separate document! I will however expand my "please find attached" to a full sentence!

8. Thank you light housekeeper - really good advice, I'll definately try and phrase it less specifically though :).
    Theo, thank you for your advice too. I actually do include executive summaries, as you can see by my second post (I did read the clickables, honest). Thank you for your help with this, because I didn't do them before I saw it here.
    I see what you're saying about not making them look - but they're asking to! What confuses me is that they are asking for a letter of application as well as a personal statement...and as you say, they're essentially the same thing. The form specifically says "Supporting statement", so is it definately okay to put my summary there instead?
    I'm sorry if I'm being a bit dense here, I just really want to get it right :)

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

They are not asking to have to look in another document to get what they want in the application form!
    Yes - this is a statement of what they want and how you provide it.
    That's twice - not a typo - it is definitely not that spelling!
    Be careful with the common mis-spellings, it's so easy to let them slip into a letter.
    Best wishes!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!

10. Thanks Theo - and I'll make sure I spell check :)

11. lighthouse_keeper

Hi rlh1285 -
    - I'm sorry, I was replying to the OP's 2nd question about the executive summary, not your answer to the box for putting the statement in. Sorry for the confusion!
    However,
    I think you should follow Theo's advice and definitely not say "please see attached", even if it is in a full sentence, because as Theo says, they don't want to have to look for another document. Might it be that they have said "if this space is not sufficient, please attach a separate sheet"? If it's an e-form then you can write your statement there and you won't need to worry so much about it fitting in the box, if it's a paper form then you can staple any extra information to the form... but in applications I think every box should be filled out fully unless it is a case of "N/A"?

12. Thanks lighthouse keeper!
    The whole thing is, as I am sure you know, a total nightmare set to trap us all in my opinion! I find it so confusing! I am going to take all the various forms with me to Theo's job seminar and see if he can shed any light!!

13. lighthouse_keeper

I totally agree with the trap setting! I always wonder why it can't be the same application form for all schools across the country, and then you write a personal statement about why you want to work for that particular school and an executive summary for that particular job + person spec. The application form is just the "facts" of your career and education, and they don't change, so why on earth a different type of application form is needed for each different school, is beyond me! Recently I applied for several schools in the same borough, and they at least had the sense to have a standard form, so I didn't need to keep filling it out, as it was an electronic one - just had to make sure the names of schools and reference numbers were correct. It saved me heaps of time, which I could then spend making sure my statement and ES were as good as possible (and I got three interviews). Don't get me started on the ones which are electronic but put into PDF format so you have to print it out and do it by hand - it always takes me about four goes to get it right!!! [​IMG]
    What a good idea! The seminars sound fab and you'll definitely be able to fill the specific forms out in the best way if you get expert advice. Good luck! [​IMG]

14. Hey
    i am in the same situation, someone help..

15. Hi, can I tag onto this?!
    I've recently been confused on how to approach applications where they don't specifically say include a covering letter, and they have space in the personal statement part of the form where it asks you to explain why you're applying/what you can offer etc... what's the general protocol for this? Do a letter as well anyway or just do the form? It did say you could attach further sheets if necessary, but as I was emailing my applicaiton I just extended the boxes... incidentally I didn't write supporting/covering letters as did what the form asked and got it in there, but it felt a little unprofessional and not what I'm used to! Also, if it makes any difference it was for assistant head positions so it felt even more strange just doing a form. Fail I suspect?!
    So if I've screwed up my chances of these jobs... would be appreciated if I could be enlightened as to the "done thing" for future reference!
    Thanks
    Mel

16. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No, not a good idea ever to do this. Sorry!
    If you have a question, best to start a new thread about it.
    I cannot open every old thread on the off-chance thatt here's a new question - you're just lucky that I did open this one.
    To see the answer to your question you just need to read the full information in the Welcome thread just at the top of the page.
    Read the two shortlisting clickables, and also the FAQs - this should explain it all.
    For an effective application, you should send:
    • an application form with every bit filled in, no "See letter"
    • an application letter OR personal statement. Not both but certainly one of them.
    • a cover letter ONLY if you do a personal statement. See FAQs inside the Welcome thread
    • an Executive summary. If there's a space on the form, put it in there; if not, put it at the end of your letter so that it gets printed out automatically. The shortlisting clickables explain about this.
    As a summary of the steps to take in getting a job:
    Point 1 Are you getting notification of all possible jobs? Do several JobAlerts here on the TES Forum, for all your subjects, and then repeat them all for the independent schools. * * * * How to set up a Job Alert * * * * is at the top of the page
    Point 2 Are you following the advice in the shortlisting clickables inside the Welcome thread?
    Lots of posters have found it gets them interviews - and jobs. Headteachers say that they appreciate candidates who do what I advise.
    Please take Theo's advice!
    taking Theo's Advice
    The benefit of an executive summary
    read theo's advice and do the executive summary people, it really does work, seriously!!!!
    Dear Theo: Executive summary works- I have an interview
    Point 3 Have you tried doing an interview practice with someone who will give you blunt feedback? You'll need to get ready for when you do get an interview. You might, for example, being doing something quite simple, like screwing up your face in a glare when you are conisdering an answer, which can be very off-putting. And which a school is unlikely to tell you about.
    Point 4 And then, if all has failed because you are already doing all this, then you should be thinking of getting on a train or a coach to come to the application seminars: the next one of Winning That Teaching Job is quite soon: Saturday 25 February, it will be led by me. ThIt is just before the February 29 resignation date, so you are all fresh for any new jobs that come up then.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
    Going to a seminar has worked for many posters
    Dear Theo.....I got the job!!!!!
    Course, the thought of actually meeting me might be a big No-No!
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com<font size="2" color="#0000ff"> </font>
    There is interview training too in the afternoon that day:
    www.tesweekendworkshop86.eventbrite.com
    Point 6 Finally, you might like to open your piggy bank and come for a One-to-One session with me or someone else from the team. Again, people have found this helpful:
    Dear Everyone... I met TheoGriff!
    Theo and tremendous support
    Theo's 'One to One' careers service....
    Now the last two cost money, and although it is worth it (just calculate the difference between JSA and a NQT salary . . .), it always makes sense to try out the free advice first!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com<font size="2" color="#0000ff"> </font>
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
    Best wishes