1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - Application doesn't match NQT?!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by leuty18, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Dear Theo,

My university tutor recommended me to a colleague of hers who is looking for class teachers. I've received the application and it doesn't seem to be 'geared' for NQTs. It asks for 'current job details' - would I put my final block placement here (I finished this term)? It then asks for 'Membership of Professional Bodies' - again, I'm not entirely sure what this means.

The position is also for a KS1 teacher, whereas the bulk of my experience has been in Early Years. Whilst I'm up for the challenge, I worry that my lack of experience will work against me as my knowledge may not be as 'sound' when compared to others.

I'd appreciate any pointers.

Leuty

2. Dear Theo,

My university tutor recommended me to a colleague of hers who is looking for class teachers. I've received the application and it doesn't seem to be 'geared' for NQTs. It asks for 'current job details' - would I put my final block placement here (I finished this term)? It then asks for 'Membership of Professional Bodies' - again, I'm not entirely sure what this means.

The position is also for a KS1 teacher, whereas the bulk of my experience has been in Early Years. Whilst I'm up for the challenge, I worry that my lack of experience will work against me as my knowledge may not be as 'sound' when compared to others.

I'd appreciate any pointers.

Leuty

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Aren't you the lucky bunny!
    Well no, they don't make separate fotrms for different categories of applicants.
    Yes - but make it very clear that this was TP, not employment.
    Do NOT put here any union membership - that is information that the school is not entitled to have. It is for things such as, for a geography teacher, membership of The Geographical Society, etc., So if you have nothing, you put N/A.
    Yes, it may work against you. But you therefore have to, in your application, emphasise what you have done in EYFS, and how it is relevant and transferable to KS1.
    Before you go any further, read my general advice here:
    Dear Theo: Cover Letter..
    Best wishes

4. Thank you Theo! I've read each clickable and the advice is fantastic - fingers crossed I too can post about landing my first post.