1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo/anyone who can help

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by sum1304, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Hi, I was offered a prt time EMA role in the school I was covering in. My agency worker told the HT that I did not want the job when I actually wanted it. The HT was confused so I wrote to her clarifying that I did want the job and she should talk to me only about this. The role was announced to the governors and the news letter. It was announced to the staff too in a staff meeting. I received nothing in writing and was told that my documents will be sent in the post. I still haven't received anything and was asked to come back on INSET day when school re opens. My question is, should I panic? I haven't given my address, bank details and scale to the school yet, how do they determine the scale? Should I wait till Sep or email the business manager? Ohh soo confused. Please help.

2. Hi, I was offered a prt time EMA role in the school I was covering in. My agency worker told the HT that I did not want the job when I actually wanted it. The HT was confused so I wrote to her clarifying that I did want the job and she should talk to me only about this. The role was announced to the governors and the news letter. It was announced to the staff too in a staff meeting. I received nothing in writing and was told that my documents will be sent in the post. I still haven't received anything and was asked to come back on INSET day when school re opens. My question is, should I panic? I haven't given my address, bank details and scale to the school yet, how do they determine the scale? Should I wait till Sep or email the business manager? Ohh soo confused. Please help.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Not sure how much help I'll be. . .
    Trouble is many Heads will be away at present so you might just have to 'bite the bullet' and wait till the INSET days.
    The problem might be to do with your agency requiring a 'fee' for finding you and may be complicating the issue or just that the Head assumes it's all sorted and is expecting you in Sept.!
    So it's nail-biting time!
    As to your persona details they'd usually be taken on those days when there's secretarial staff to deal with it.

4. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

Hi,

I'm not quite sure what an EMA post is - sorry brain in holiday mode- but my understanding of teaching roles is that once you are offered a post it is binding, even if it is only offered verbally. Sometimes contracts are not signed until well into the term. As your appointment has been announced so publicly i'd be very surprised if the head has changed their mind.

Turn up on the INSET with a cheery smile. I hope that it all works out.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

This is generally only scary on your first post, or when there has been an agency mix up. The rest of the time you realise that you almost never get any paper work at all before starting the post. Seriously, I never, ever have.

They have offered you the post, told all and sundry, they won't go back on it now.

Look on the school's website and get the email address and drop them a line. Say something like you haven't received any paperwork, which isn't a problem, but you are just checking the date and start time of the INSET days in Sept. Someone will be picking up emails in the next week or two.

6. Thank you all for replying. I really do feel much better and have delayed panicking till end of Sep when it is pay time![​IMG]

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done for getting that job! I hope that by now your worries have bveen cleared up. The school does not need to give you a contract until October half term, according to employment law, so that is one point not to be concerned about.
    Do read this thread to remind you of the administrative details that you will need to know for starting your job.
    Hope you have a great start to the term!
    Got a Job Offer? What to do now . . .
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I am timetabled for the October workshops - see you there!