1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo / Anyone who can help! Finding a job after teaching abroad

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Chrissie81, Aug 26, 2011.

1. I have been teaching English in an elementary school in Taiwan for the past two years, and am currently about to begin my third year here. I love it here, but I want to come back to the UK when my contract finishes at the end of June 2012, and am hoping to find a school to complete my NQT year in.
    I want to know if you have any advice for me when it comes to applications, as i will not have taught in a British school system for 3 years by the time i come home, and i have not been teaching the subject or age group that i trained for during my PGCE. I have lots of other things going for me though. I now have experience teaching Primary aged children, and hopefully (!) will have a Masters degree by the time i come home.
    I only have a small window in which i can attend interviews (2-3 weeks in July until the schools close for the summer), which is why i am thinking about it so early.

Does anyone else have a similar experience of finding a job after teaching abroad for sometime? Do you think headteachers are likely to look favourably on my teaching experience in Asia?
    I'm worried i won't be able to find a job when i come home!
    Any advice/experiences you could share with me would be really helpful.
    Thank you.

2. Thanks for your reply.
    I didn't think schools did skype interviews, (i thought it always had to be a face to face interview), did she send you a video demo of her teaching?
    I know I have alot to offer a school, so hopefully if I big myself up and focus on everything I have achieved since i've been here i'll be as lucky as the teacher you have just employed!

3. I'm a recent returner to the UK having taught overseas for a year, so understand what you're facing.

When I first considered coming back to the UK, I felt like I almost had to be apologetic that I had been teaching overseas, but I've since changed my attitude. I know it's made me a better teacher, and that shows in the way I teach. My new school feels the same too, and are really pleased that I'm bringing a slightly different skill set to the job. I've been employed at a school I already had a relationship with, which helped, but I don't think that is the 'be all and end all' of getting a job when returning overseas - I just happened to be in the right place at the right time!

That being said, I did go on a TES Jobseeking Seminar earlier this summer, and was surprised by the number of 'overseas returners' there. I chatted with them all, and I was the only one who had found a job. Some of them had been back in the country for over a year and were doing supply. So, I suppose it isn't always that easy.

There are schools out there who will view overseas experience as a really positive thing, and recognise how this will help you teach in the UK.

Best of luck with your final year! Apologies for the lack of paragraphs... damn Google Chrome!