1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, any hope for me?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by greygaunt, May 1, 2012.

1. greygaunt

greygaunt New commenter

Dear Theo,
    My recent dismissal from my job is now the subject of a union-backed employment tribunal claim. The full story is on the 'Workplace Dilemmas' forum under 'Windows 7 Media Sharing'.
    In summary, my current situation is:
    1. My former HT has aagreed to give only one 'basic past employer reference'. I was employed there for eight years, hence all prospective employers and supply agencies are asking for two references from the same location.
    2. My former HT has banned any other member of staff at my last school from supplying a reference on me.
    My previous school is supportive but unable to give reference for someone who last worked there in 2004.
    I am 46, with 13 years experience in both maintained and independent schools. I can offer RS to GCE A level, History to GCSE and Geography to KS3.
    However, given my present situation, is my teaching career effectively at am end?
    Any advice gratefully received.

2. greygaunt

greygaunt New commenter

Dear Theo,
    My recent dismissal from my job is now the subject of a union-backed employment tribunal claim. The full story is on the 'Workplace Dilemmas' forum under 'Windows 7 Media Sharing'.
    In summary, my current situation is:
    1. My former HT has aagreed to give only one 'basic past employer reference'. I was employed there for eight years, hence all prospective employers and supply agencies are asking for two references from the same location.
    2. My former HT has banned any other member of staff at my last school from supplying a reference on me.
    My previous school is supportive but unable to give reference for someone who last worked there in 2004.
    I am 46, with 13 years experience in both maintained and independent schools. I can offer RS to GCE A level, History to GCSE and Geography to KS3.
    However, given my present situation, is my teaching career effectively at am end?
    Any advice gratefully received.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I am sorry that you have had such a troubled time, Greygaunt, and that you are in such a difficult situation. For I shall not deny that your situation is difficult, for a number of reasons.

Firstly, you are experienced and thus expensive. Secondly, your subject is one where there is an over supply lf teachers. So there will be few vacancies and large numbers of competitors, many cheaper than you. And this is even before the matter of references.

With a wide field of applicants to choose from, and no-notice inspections from Ofsted, few Heads would take the risk of employing someone with an unconventional recent history. Unconventional or even controversial.

I don't know what advice your union has given, but my feeling is that you might have a better chance in one of the less conventional indy schools, or even in a British international school abroad, where your contribution to the wider life of the school and the academic success of pupils might be evaluated more sympathetically.

Best wishes

Posted from my Galaxy Tab

4. greygaunt

greygaunt New commenter

An ovrsupply of RS teachers? That's (more) bad news to me, since I had been under the impression that it was a shortage subject.
    I had thought (since I can also offer) History and Geography) that there might be some milage in looking at Humanities posts. Is this any more likely to be successful?
    Can you explain your line of reasoning vis a vis short notice Ofsted inspections? is it a question of perceptions and a desire to play safe?
    As far as salary goes, would it help if I stated in a covering letter that I was prepared to accept a lower salary?
    This may all be clutching at straws, but right now that's all i've got.
    I note your point about indie schools, but am not sure what you mean by 'less-conventional'.
    As far as international schools are concerned, if I were single I would be looking at them very seriously. I'm not though and my wife's career is very definitely tied to the UK for the next few years. Short of divorce, it's not an option I'm afraid.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Q1 www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6090211
    Q2 Few humanities posts are advertised

Q3 You are possibly perceived as a risk

Q4 This is not allowed under Union agreement on national bargaining in maintained schools

Best wishes

Posted from my Galaxy Tab