1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo... Any advice for...

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by lillipad, Mar 6, 2011.

1. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

A teacher who has been teaching for 3 years, in that time i've never landed a permanent job - i've done 2 mat covers, I have 2 great references, yet every job I apply for- I hear nothing back?! My head has read my letter of app and says it's good. Am I just against stiff competition or am I doing something wrong? Should I be approaching this from a different angle to how I did when I was an NQT? What do they expect to see from slightly more experienced teachers?!

Thank you

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Main issue may be that you have My Letter of Application.
    It's best not to have just one application, but to make it personal to the needs of each school. Have you read the advice about executive summaries in the Welcome thread? open the shortlisting clickables and read those - then follow the advice exactly!
    But you mustn't beat your breast too much, as you are up against enormous numbers of applicants. This year, fewer jobs are being advertised, people are being made redundant, and there are over half of last summer's NQTs still without a job, and a third of the 2009 lot.
    Unheard of!
    Normally 80% are settled by Christmas.
    So what they expect to see from teachers, experienced or not, is how they meet the school's expectations.
    Best of luck
    There is now another seminar on Applying for Senior Leadership on 13th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop17.eventbrite.com
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!