1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: any advice? Ammount of time travelling to work every day

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by TheoGriff, Jun 4, 2011.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I'm touched that you should think of me, but really I cannot make thisd ecision for you!
    You need to bear in mind: how many other jobs in your subject or age group there have been and therefore are likely to be; how likely you are to be able to get an interview and then a job; how you could cope financially without a job; if you need to do your NQT induction - the longer you leave this the harder it gets.
    Now people have handed in their notice for September on 31 May, there will be a flurry of jobs that need to be filled, and only those not in permanent employment can apply.
    So there will be more jobs, and you will have as good chance, but no guarantees, of course. Try driving the route to this school in rush hour, by the way, if there's a day that you're free.
    And do the best possible application if you decide to apply elsewhere.
    Make sure that you open the Welcome thread and read the shortlisting clickables inside, to get advice that has really helped othet posters.
    The benefit of an executive summary
    Dear Theo: Executive summary works- I have an interview
    taking Theo's Advice
    Best of luck!
    Best of luck.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!

2. lighthouse_keeper

lighthouse_keeper New commenter

Could you not move to be nearer to the school? This might seem a silly suggestion but 2 hours commute is a lot, and teaching is an exhausting job....? However, if moving is not an option and you really like the school, I would be tempted to say that you should take it. If you don't particularly like the school then I would leave it and wait to see what else comes up...nearly 2 hours commute for somewhere you are not sure of, is probably too long.

3. I just wanted to update this and share with you (someone may be in a similar situation). After 1 year and 2 terms I have to say that I am handling the travelling time well. I think that even better that I thought. I am using the train time to mark some books. If I was driving I would not be able to do this, plus I will have more stress from the road, traffic and so on... The only thing that puts me off is the unreliabilty of the bus once I am at the town when I go back from work. But I just wanted to say that I am making this sacrifice because the school is right for me and I feel happy there. In conclusion, it always worth it to give a go at all the possibilities (distance wise). if it is the right school you will be thankful. Now that I think on how many job applications I did not fill because the school was a little bit far...

4. Well done for making the situation work for you! I don't think I could drive for that amount of time twice a day because I find driving quite tiring. At least you can relax a little on the train.