1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: ANNOYED

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by cashmygold, May 20, 2011.

1. Hello,

I have been on TES jobs this morning and saw an ideal job I would like to apply for. I have read the application guidance notes and then went to have a look at the person spec, so that I am able to formulate an exec summary and statement. On this site it has the pack you can down load. It has a generic job description but no sign of the person spec.

I then went to the school website and the same, no person spec. I have now rang the school to inform them and the person I spoke to informed me that the spec is below the job description. WELL IT ISN'T!!! I now feel like a nuisance if I were to ring back.

I have checked other positions to see if there is a person spec and the same thing occurs. PLUS when I click for an app form it links to the Monitoring Form.

I am totally baffled. Is this acceptable in the 21st centuary!!!

2. Hello,

I have been on TES jobs this morning and saw an ideal job I would like to apply for. I have read the application guidance notes and then went to have a look at the person spec, so that I am able to formulate an exec summary and statement. On this site it has the pack you can down load. It has a generic job description but no sign of the person spec.

I then went to the school website and the same, no person spec. I have now rang the school to inform them and the person I spoke to informed me that the spec is below the job description. WELL IT ISN'T!!! I now feel like a nuisance if I were to ring back.

I have checked other positions to see if there is a person spec and the same thing occurs. PLUS when I click for an app form it links to the Monitoring Form.

I am totally baffled. Is this acceptable in the 21st centuary!!!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No, of course it is not acceptable!
    So ring them again and say that you cannot see it.
    But do try printing off the Job Spec first, in case it magically appears at that point.
    Best wishes
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.
    The Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, but Julia is planning some more later on.

A new SLT seminar is available now on 22 May <u>www.tesweekendworkshop32.eventbrite.com</u>, and another is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

4. Thank you for a speedy response.

Apparently they said it is not called a person spec any more. They call it 'specific responsibilities'.

My confusion with this was due to guidance notes. In the guidance notes it mentions- if large amounts of applicants all meet the essential criteria then they decide by looking at how many meet the desirable criteria, however the specific responsibilities isn't laid out as such, as it isn't divided into essential/desriable.

I'll apply anyway, suppose it can't do any harm.