1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo and others

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by anon3946, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Dear lovely people,
    As a PGCE student, I find myself often struggling to tailor a statement to a school. I don't have a massive wealth of experience to pick and choose from and I'm finding the statements are all very "samey"- especially where schools are only offering up a generic job description and little to no information about the department. Obviously, there are some things that are easily put in or taken out: EAL experience, Sixth Form experience, etc, but it still doesn't really read as if it's been tailored to that particular school. But when I do tailor them, I just seem to sound like a bit of an ***, really- "I notice you have students; guess what?! I've taught students!" (Minor hyperbole there, maybe!) How do I tailor without seeming like a blithering *** when I have little information to go on?

I did have a few more questions, but they've clean slipped my mind!! You can look forward to them once I regain some brain cells!
    Many thanks

2. blinked out words refer to me sounding a bit dim, no expletives, honestly!

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Have you looked at the Ofsted report? Googled the school for any activities that may have made the local press? (charity work, sport etc)If you can look round the school it might give you more things to put in there too...
    Good Luck x

4. I think what I'm struggling with most is linking the school to myself. I can say XYZ which is relevant to the school but am finding it hard to say, "You are looking for someone who can do XYZ, let me show you how I meet that" explicitly. It sounds horribly stilted when I write like that :S

5. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

"I was pleased to see in the Timbuktoo Gazette your school had raised funds for the Devestation charity through putting on a school production/holding a summer fete. During the time at my placement school I have been actively involved in drama/fundraising (etc...) by painting the stage backdrop/holding a bake sale and I would be keen to assist in any future productions/fundraising efforts should I be lucky enough to get the post"
    Or something like that (IMO, I'm also unemployed so take with a pinch of salt [​IMG]) x

6. Ah, so I am doing it right- just need to resign myself to being stilted. Thank you so much! :)

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Quite.
    Which is why this bit of the nitty-gritty is best left to your executive summary.
    You are doing one, aren't you? [​IMG]
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 18th February
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com
    www.tesweekendworkshop82.eventbrite.com

8. Of course!