1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo and others - unsure what to do

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by gemmamarie08, May 22, 2012.

1. gemmamarie08

gemmamarie08 New commenter

Hi everyone [​IMG]
    I'm after a bit of advice as I feel a bit lost at present (this may end up long!).
    I qualified with a PGCE 11-18 Physics and Science in Aug 2010. I decided not to take up a teaching post at that point for a variety of reasons (mainly I trained 200 miles from where I was settling with my partner, we bought a house and my Nan who I'm very close to was diagnosed with cancer)
    In Jan 11 I started a learning mentor type role at place X. Love the job which involves also working in local schools delivering sessions to full classes and small groups. I have managed to build up experience teaching KS2 right up to and including KS5 and will have completed two terms of NQT at the end of the year. I have been doing some teaching at place X this year alongside this other role.
    There is a teaching job at X but for various reasons I don't want to apply for it (can't give too much info here but it just doesn't feel like the right job) but I am staying on in my other role and will be doing term 3 of my NQT and continuing to build experience.
    I would like to look for another teaching post over the next year and initially thought I would just look for Sept 2013 jobs.
    However, there will of course be jobs for Jan 13 which I could apply for as well. Only problem is due to hours I won't have finished term 3 of my NQT then so would have to start that term again in a new school.
    I just can't decide when it would be better to look for [​IMG] (Sept/Jan) and part of me would feel guilty leaving place X at Christmas when they've put me through 2 terms of NQT and sorted out a third term. However, there may be less competition for Jan jobs and I'm not great with interviews!
    Of course I may apply for Jan jobs and not get one but would obviously need to let X know I was applying.
    Grr! Why can't it just be straight forward! lol
    Answers on a post card please!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well, recently there hasn't been less competition for Jan jobs, as there have been so many NQTs still unable to begin induction that the Jan jobs have been very well applied for.
    And there are a lot fewer of them than in September.
    The time with least applicants is the june adverts for September, when serving teachers cannot apply as they have missed the May 31 deadline.
    Best wishes.