1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo and others, this may sound silly but should I do it anyway?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by poppyjones85, Mar 13, 2011.

1. I have an interview coming up and I have this horrible problem that half way through answering a question I forget what the question was in the first place, and then I start to waffle. Would it look extremely unprofessional if I carried in a pad and pen and wrote down key words from each question and look at it maybe once or twice when I was talking to remind me of the question and not to waffle.
    Please respond as any advice would be great.
    Thanks
    Poppy

2. I have an interview coming up and I have this horrible problem that half way through answering a question I forget what the question was in the first place, and then I start to waffle. Would it look extremely unprofessional if I carried in a pad and pen and wrote down key words from each question and look at it maybe once or twice when I was talking to remind me of the question and not to waffle.
    Please respond as any advice would be great.
    Thanks
    Poppy

3. I don't know the expert answer to this, but in a recent interview I was answering the question by illustrating a point, and forget the specifics of the question, so I asked them to repeat it, which they did. This was not held against me as in feedback I was told my interview was very good.

4. I have got half way through an answer and asked for the question to be repeated again.
    I'm waiting to find out my fate on that job though!

Good luck

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I wouldn't say 'unprofessional' but possibly you might look a bit odd.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You could, but I think that if you were busy scribbling you wouldn't really be thinking about the question.
    If it's a long or complex one, try repeating it out loud, So, What would I say were the three most important things for X, and how would I tackle them? Well, first I would . . .
    Don't repeat them all, that would look SERIOUSLY weird, but long ones.
    And asking for them to repeat can be done too.
    Occasionally.
    Once only . . .
    Good luck
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!