1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo (and others) - references on application forms

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Ozzie777, May 2, 2012.

1. Ozzie777

Ozzie777 New commenter

I have been in my NQT post for a term and a half, but would really like to find a job closer to home teaching in one of my core academic subjects (preferably at A level).

I quite like where I am and don't want to upset the Headteacher by applying for too many jobs. Up to now I have emailed her with details of each school I have applied to (so far three) but they have all come to nothing and have not taken up references. I want to put in a spate of applications over the next week, but don't want to alarm her unnecessarily, especially if nothing happens with the next lot of applications. I am prepared to stay in my current role if I don't find a new role.

Is it feasible to put a statement in the references section of my applications asking that they do not contact my headteacher for an interview before contacting me? How is this likely to be viewed by those receiving my applications?

Thanks.

2. Ozzie777

Ozzie777 New commenter

I have been in my NQT post for a term and a half, but would really like to find a job closer to home teaching in one of my core academic subjects (preferably at A level).

I quite like where I am and don't want to upset the Headteacher by applying for too many jobs. Up to now I have emailed her with details of each school I have applied to (so far three) but they have all come to nothing and have not taken up references. I want to put in a spate of applications over the next week, but don't want to alarm her unnecessarily, especially if nothing happens with the next lot of applications. I am prepared to stay in my current role if I don't find a new role.

Is it feasible to put a statement in the references section of my applications asking that they do not contact my headteacher for an interview before contacting me? How is this likely to be viewed by those receiving my applications?

Thanks.

3. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

Well, I've asked my Head to be a reference, but I haven't told them about every single applicationI've done! Good grief, I have better things to do. They know I'm looking and are happy to give a reference if I need one; that's all I and they need to know right now.
    Secondly, surely a school ask you for interview and then contact your references? Or at least do it on the same day? So, if your HT knows you're looking, any reference requests won't come as a shock. Also, you should know at about the same time as your HT anyway.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Once you have spoken to your Head and made him/her aware that you are thinking of moving on, so a reference will be needed, you don't need to tell him/her every time that you apply for a job.
    No need - the Head knows that you are looking, so a reference request will not come out of the blue.
    Weird! They will think it weird . . .
    Now no interviews out of only 3 applications isn't too bad, but you do have to be sure that you are displaying yourself at your very best. So I suggest that you read this advice here:
    Post 3 Am I doing enough?
    Best wishes